Is the membership & role management right for me? [ASP.NET 2.0]

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Griff, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. Griff

    Griff Guest

    Hi

    We are re-writing an old classic ASP system and I've been doing some reading
    up of the new security features in ASP.NET and I'm not sure that they're
    suitable for me...but perhaps I've got completely the wrong end of a the
    stick. I'd be grateful of some guidance here.

    To describe the existing application:
    We have an eCommerce "business-2-business" application that we have written
    and host for other companies (~400). So we host about 400 web sites. Each
    company's website has its own dedicated database which contains information
    about the products that they want to sell. It also contains end user
    information. These end users are either registered via a web page or by
    importing their details programmatically into the database. Overall, we
    have well over 500,000 users registered over all our web sites.

    The user information is pivotal to the company's business rules. For
    example, a user has access to only a few of the delivery addresses on the
    system. They have access to only a few of the products on the system. They
    have access to only a few of the features (such as reporting) on the system.
    Etc, etc. These "business" rules are all implemented within the relational
    tables in the specific company's database.

    The ASP.NET 2.0 features that I refer to appear to hold the user information
    in a specific database structure. I *assume* that this structure is rigid
    and will therefore not allow me to implement the business rules in the way
    that I have suggested. Could anyone give me a quick answer as to whether
    this is likely to meet my requirements?

    Many thanks

    Griff
    Griff, Sep 21, 2006

  2. Griff

    clintonG Guest

    Your assumptions are wrong and the quick answer is yes. Membership, Roles,
    and Profiles are exactly what you need noting you can even consolidate the
    ~400 different websites into one SQL Server 2005 database.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    MAP 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W : 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W

    clintonG, Sep 22, 2006