Is the Ruby "ruby logo" licenced under creative commons?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ben Congleton, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Is the Ruby "ruby logo" licenced under creative commons? (The ruby logo
    found in the header of http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/)

    I was also wondering if someone had made a good 'ruby' t-shirt with
    the logo on it? I was looking for some ruby 'nerd-wear' and couldn't
    find anything other than a few ugly shirts on cafe-press.

    If there are no good shirts out there and the logo is under CC
    I am definitely interested in designing some shirts, printing them, and
    selling them at cost. (But, I want to make sure I wouldn't be breaking
    any copyrights to print the shirts first)

    Thanks,
    Ben Congleton
    Nethernet Corporation
    http://www.nethernet.com

    Phd Student
    School of Information
    University of Michigan

    Ben Congleton, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Ben Congleton

    James Britt Guest

    Ben Congleton wrote:
    > Is the Ruby "ruby logo" licenced under creative commons? (The ruby logo
    > found in the header of http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/)
    >
    > I was also wondering if someone had made a good 'ruby' t-shirt with
    > the logo on it? I was looking for some ruby 'nerd-wear' and couldn't
    > find anything other than a few ugly shirts on cafe-press.

    I hope they weren't among these:

    http://www.rubystuff.com

    > If there are no good shirts out there and the logo is under CC
    > I am definitely interested in designing some shirts, printing them, and
    > selling them at cost. (But, I want to make sure I wouldn't be breaking
    > any copyrights to print the shirts first)

    See the link at the bottom of the ruby-lang.org home page for:

    http://rubyidentity.org/

    <quote>
    Want to use the Ruby logo for your own project?

    Download the Ruby logo kit and get started right away! The Ruby logo is
    copyright © 2006, Yukihiro Matsumoto. It is released under the terms of
    the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.
    </quote>

    But I don't see this graphic of a ruby as any official logo. It's
    simply part of the current page design.

    (There was a thread on Ruby logo and mascots some time back, and it
    thankfully faded away.)

    --
    James Britt

    "I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion
    out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be
    solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

    James Britt, Jan 30, 2007