Is the Usenet to mailing list gateway borked?

Andrew Berg

I didn't get at least two messages from the "call a function every 10
seconds thread", and possibly some other messages, and I access the
group via the mailing list. I use the latest stable Thunderbird, if that
matters. I've only noticed this recently, and I'm still getting other
messages. In fact, I only noticed this because I got a message that
referenced messages I didn't get.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Andrew said:
[…]

As for your question in the Subject, I do not know since I am reading the
newsgroup.

Therefore, however, I can tell you that the mailing list to Usenet gateway
is seriously borked, as missing References header fields are not generated
by the gateway. As a result, there are few if any threads left in the
newsgroup, which makes it an increasing PITA to read. (And no, threading by
Subject is a stupid idea.)

Would someone responsible *please* fix this? I am willing to provide
assistance, see also my suggestion in
<

Thomas Guettler

Andrew said:
[…]

As for your question in the Subject, I do not know since I am reading the
newsgroup.

Therefore, however, I can tell you that the mailing list to Usenet gateway
is seriously borked, as missing References header fields are not generated
by the gateway. As a result, there are few if any threads left in the
newsgroup, which makes it an increasing PITA to read. (And no, threading by
Subject is a stupid idea.)

Would someone responsible *please* fix this? I am willing to provide
assistance, see also my suggestion in
<news:[email protected]>.

Hi,

Who is responsible?

I think in the past there were not many broken threads. I wonder what
changed this.

Thomas

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Thomas said:
Andrew said:
[…]

As for your question in the Subject, I do not know since I am reading the
newsgroup.

Therefore, however, I can tell you that the mailing list to Usenet
gateway is seriously borked, as missing References header fields are not
generated by the gateway. As a result, there are few if any threads left
in the newsgroup, which makes it an increasing PITA to read. (And no,
threading by Subject is a stupid idea.)

Would someone responsible *please* fix this? I am willing to provide
assistance, see also my suggestion in
<news:[email protected]>.

Who is responsible?

If I knew that I would not ask here.
I think in the past there were not many broken threads. I wonder what
changed this.

One factor, as I see it, is an increasing number of people using e-mail
clients that do not generate the References header field, as it is only a
SHOULD, not a MUST per RFC 5322, or people using mail clients that are FUBAR
(like G2, Google Groups and Mail). But that header field is mandatory for
Network News (RFC 5536), and if it is missing you create a mess for
newsreaders (applications and people alike). "Bugs" making a slumbering
real bug in the gateway implementation apparent.

But that appears to be only half the truth as e.g. I can retrieve none of
the messages that <[email protected]> of
15:19 GMT+02:00 today refers to, regardless from where they supposedly
originated. I am not deleting messages locally and I have a rather fast and
reliable newsfeed, so the messages should have arrived by now.

TP

Thomas said:
Andrew Berg wrote:
[…]

[...]

Not sure if this is relevant. I use mail.google.com to follow mailing
lists and a large proportion of python-list traffic ends up in my
gmail spam folder for some reason?

-- TP

Chris Angelico

Not sure if this is relevant. I use mail.google.com to follow mailing
lists and a large proportion of python-list traffic ends up in my
gmail spam folder for some reason?

Set a filter (you can "Filter messages like this") that says "Never
spam". That stops that from happening.

ChrisA

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

TP said:
Thomas said:
[Why are threads broken in the newsgroup?]

Not sure if this is relevant. I use mail.google.com to follow mailing
lists and a large proportion of python-list traffic ends up in my
gmail spam folder for some reason?

Your e-mail problems are unrelated to what happens in the newsgroup,
the fact aside that you are posting more text than necessary.

<http://learn.to/quote>