Is ther a master list of all warnings/errors that the java compilercan produce.

Wazza

Hi,

Im writing a utility to inspect output from makefiles....

Part of the task involves checking the text output against a list of
known compiler warnings and errors. I cant seem to find such a list
for the java compiler... (I found "some" stuff for error messages...
but not warnings).

Does anybody know of such a list?

thanks,

-dm

BTW: I know may would be thinking "you dont need a list of all errors
to find a java error in a mkaefile log..."; unfortuntly in this
circumstance it is nessesary....

Lew

Wazza said:
Hi,

Im writing a utility to inspect output from makefiles....

Part of the task involves checking the text output against a list of
known compiler warnings and errors. I cant seem to find such a list
for the java compiler... (I found "some" stuff for error messages...
but not warnings).

Does anybody know of such a list?

thanks,

-dm

BTW: I know may would be thinking "you dont need a list of all errors
to find a java error in a mkaefile log..."; unfortuntly in this
circumstance it is nessesary....

I don't have such a list, but several things complicate the compilation of
such a list. Compilers change over time, they come from several vendors, and
Java compilation is built in to the language itself now, allowing all sorts of
custom compilers to happen, even at runtime. Even within a single, standard
compiler at a certain version, there are options that turn on and off
different errors and warnings, or change how the same ones are reported.

Undoubtedly there is such a list, if only in the source code that Sun
provides. I suggest taking any such list as a useful subset of the
potentially infinite-sized complete list, and include an "other" category for
unrecognized errors. That way you don't have to keep up with changes or
quirks quite so aggressively, and you'll still catch 99.9repeating% of the cases.

Wazza

Thanks goof Idea;will hit the source code.

As for the difficulties the app is only for internal use and the java
compiler changes about once a year... so it's not a big hassle.

-dm

Thomas Fritsch

Lew said:
Wazza said:
Im writing a utility to inspect output from makefiles....

Part of the task involves checking the text output against a list of
known compiler warnings and errors. I cant seem to find such a list
for the java compiler... (I found "some" stuff for error messages...
but not warnings).

Does anybody know of such a list?
[...]
Undoubtedly there is such a list, if only in the source code that Sun
provides.
[...]
The actual list is in file "<JDKdirectory>/lib/tools.jar", in member
"sun/tools/javac/resources/javac.properties". It contains all ~300 error
messages in english language.