Is ther a master list of all warnings/errors that the java compilercan produce.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Wazza, Dec 5, 2007.

  1. Wazza

    Wazza Guest

    Hi,

    Im writing a utility to inspect output from makefiles....

    Part of the task involves checking the text output against a list of
    known compiler warnings and errors. I cant seem to find such a list
    for the java compiler... (I found "some" stuff for error messages...
    but not warnings).

    Does anybody know of such a list?

    thanks,

    -dm

    BTW: I know may would be thinking "you dont need a list of all errors
    to find a java error in a mkaefile log..."; unfortuntly in this
    circumstance it is nessesary....
    Wazza, Dec 5, 2007

  2. Wazza

    Lew Guest

    Wazza wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Im writing a utility to inspect output from makefiles....
    >
    > Part of the task involves checking the text output against a list of
    > known compiler warnings and errors. I cant seem to find such a list
    > for the java compiler... (I found "some" stuff for error messages...
    > but not warnings).
    >
    > Does anybody know of such a list?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > -dm
    >
    > BTW: I know may would be thinking "you dont need a list of all errors
    > to find a java error in a mkaefile log..."; unfortuntly in this
    > circumstance it is nessesary....

    I don't have such a list, but several things complicate the compilation of
    such a list. Compilers change over time, they come from several vendors, and
    Java compilation is built in to the language itself now, allowing all sorts of
    custom compilers to happen, even at runtime. Even within a single, standard
    compiler at a certain version, there are options that turn on and off
    different errors and warnings, or change how the same ones are reported.

    Undoubtedly there is such a list, if only in the source code that Sun
    provides. I suggest taking any such list as a useful subset of the
    potentially infinite-sized complete list, and include an "other" category for
    unrecognized errors. That way you don't have to keep up with changes or
    quirks quite so aggressively, and you'll still catch 99.9repeating% of the cases.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Dec 5, 2007

  3. Wazza

    Wazza Guest

    Re: Is ther a master list of all warnings/errors that the javacompiler can produce.

    Thanks goof Idea;will hit the source code.

    As for the difficulties the app is only for internal use and the java
    compiler changes about once a year... so it's not a big hassle.

    -dm
    Wazza, Dec 5, 2007
  4. Lew wrote:
    > Wazza wrote:
    >> Im writing a utility to inspect output from makefiles....
    >>
    >> Part of the task involves checking the text output against a list of
    >> known compiler warnings and errors. I cant seem to find such a list
    >> for the java compiler... (I found "some" stuff for error messages...
    >> but not warnings).
    >>
    >> Does anybody know of such a list?

    [...]
    > Undoubtedly there is such a list, if only in the source code that Sun
    > provides.

    [...]
    The actual list is in file "<JDKdirectory>/lib/tools.jar", in member
    "sun/tools/javac/resources/javac.properties". It contains all ~300 error
    messages in english language.

    --
    Thomas
    Thomas Fritsch, Dec 6, 2007
  5. Wazza

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: Is ther a master list of all warnings/errors that the java compiler can produce.

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 18:00:47 -0800 (PST), Wazza <>

    >Part of the task involves checking the text output against a list of
    >known compiler warnings and errors

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/errormessages.html

    It splits into compile time and run time.

    The list is not complete, but it has the common ones, and it contains
    translations into English of what the errors mean, and their possible
    causes.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary