Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripable as Word?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sandal, Oct 15, 2007.

  1. sandal

    sandal Guest

    Does anyone have exposure to a programmable asp.net editor control that
    can approximate basic aspects of Word's programability? I have an
    existing system that utilizes Word and vba to build a customized
    document out of text snippets and then let the user complete the
    editing.

    The kinds of things that I need to be able to do

    - create a doc from a template (starting point)
    - alter header info and logo to match the org creating the doc
    - replace placeholder text with text from database
    - insert values from db into bookmarks
    - allow the user to select and then insert text snippets with formatting
    into the doc. In word, a dialog box opens which presents a list of text
    snippets (each snippet has a title, the title is presented in the list)
    and when the user selects a list item it's data (paragraph(s) or phrase)
    is inserted into the document.
    - save completed doc as pdf

    sandal, Oct 15, 2007

  2. RE: Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripab

    Either FreeTextBox or FCKEditor are about as close as you are going to get.
    -- Peter
    Recursion: see Recursion
    site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Oct 15, 2007

  3. Re: Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripab

    "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    > Either FreeTextBox or FCKEditor are about as close as you are going to
    > get.

    I can heartily recommend FreeTextBox...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 15, 2007
  4. sandal

    sandal Guest

    Re: Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripab

    OK, thanks to the two of you.

    With controls like those, in order to do the moderately complex tasks I
    have laid out, one must resort to manipulating the html in code? There
    are no features like Word's bookmarks for instance? If not, I suppose I
    could use placeholder text instead.

    sandal, Oct 15, 2007
  5. Re: Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripab

    "sandal" <> wrote in message

    > With controls like those, in order to do the moderately complex tasks I
    > have laid out, one must resort to manipulating the html in code? There
    > are no features like Word's bookmarks for instance? If not, I suppose I
    > could use placeholder text instead.

    Not sure about bookmarks...

    But if you need anything more than the free controls provide, there is a
    whole industry of WYSWYG and RTF editors available for ASP.NET:

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_en-GBGB220GB220&q="ASP.NET RTF

    Prices vary...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 15, 2007
  6. sandal

    sandal Guest

    Re: Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripab

    Well, of course I know there are many editing controls out there; the
    question was, does anyone have first hand experience with a control that
    has a featureset that would allow support the requirements I listed? A
    control that has programmability a little like Word?

    sandal, Oct 15, 2007
  7. Re: Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripab

    "sandal" <> wrote in message

    > Well, of course I know there are many editing controls out there; the
    > question was, does anyone have first hand experience with a control that
    > has a featureset that would allow support the requirements I listed? A
    > control that has programmability a little like Word?

    I've used this for intranet projects:
    http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.Editor/Default.aspx

    IE only, though...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 15, 2007
  8. sandal

    sandal Guest

    Re: Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripab

    Thanks Mark I will have a look at aspose as an option, it does seem
    closer to what I am looking for than anything else I've seen to date.

    sandal, Oct 16, 2007
  9. Re: Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripab

    "sandal" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks Mark I will have a look at aspose as an option, it does seem
    > closer to what I am looking for than anything else I've seen to date.

    Remember it's IE-only, though, so no use for public websites...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Oct 16, 2007