Is there a 3rd party text editor control that is approx as scripable as Word?

sandal

Does anyone have exposure to a programmable asp.net editor control that
can approximate basic aspects of Word's programability? I have an
existing system that utilizes Word and vba to build a customized
document out of text snippets and then let the user complete the
editing.

The kinds of things that I need to be able to do

- create a doc from a template (starting point)
- alter header info and logo to match the org creating the doc
- replace placeholder text with text from database
- insert values from db into bookmarks
- allow the user to select and then insert text snippets with formatting
into the doc. In word, a dialog box opens which presents a list of text
snippets (each snippet has a title, the title is presented in the list)
and when the user selects a list item it's data (paragraph(s) or phrase)
is inserted into the document.
- save completed doc as pdf

sandal

OK, thanks to the two of you.

With controls like those, in order to do the moderately complex tasks I
have laid out, one must resort to manipulating the html in code? There
are no features like Word's bookmarks for instance? If not, I suppose I
could use placeholder text instead.

Mark Rae [MVP]

With controls like those, in order to do the moderately complex tasks I
have laid out, one must resort to manipulating the html in code? There
are no features like Word's bookmarks for instance? If not, I suppose I
could use placeholder text instead.

Not sure about bookmarks...

But if you need anything more than the free controls provide, there is a
whole industry of WYSWYG and RTF editors available for ASP.NET:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_en-GBGB220GB220&q="ASP.NET+RTF

Prices vary...

sandal

Well, of course I know there are many editing controls out there; the
question was, does anyone have first hand experience with a control that
has a featureset that would allow support the requirements I listed? A
control that has programmability a little like Word?

sandal

Thanks Mark I will have a look at aspose as an option, it does seem
closer to what I am looking for than anything else I've seen to date.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Thanks Mark I will have a look at aspose as an option, it does seem
closer to what I am looking for than anything else I've seen to date.

Remember it's IE-only, though, so no use for public websites...