Is there a downside to setting OptionInfer to false

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by AAaron123, Mar 28, 2009.

  1. AAaron123

    AAaron123 Guest

    <system.codedom>

    <compilers>

    <compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;vbscript" extension=".vb" ...snip...

    <providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>

    <providerOption name="OptionInfer" value="true"/>

    I read the help about OptionInfer. Sounds to me that the help refers mostly
    to Windows projects.

    I'd like my code to be as explicit as possible with no more assumptions made
    by the compiler than necessary.

    So I'd like OptionInfer and OptionStrict and any other options you know of
    to be set to catch anything I might let slip by.

    However, I'm uncertain about Asp.Net. There is so much happening behind the
    scenes that I'm uncomfortable setting these to other than the default
    values. In fact the help mentions things like /optionstrict+ rather than
    setting it to true. So bottom line:

    Is there a downside to setting:

    <providerOption name="OptionInfer" value="false"/>

    <providerOption name="OptionStrict" value="true"/>

    And are there other similar settings you'd recommend?

    Thanks

    PS

    How come c# doesn't have

    <providerOption name="OptionInfer" value="true"/>

    in web.config
    AAaron123, Mar 28, 2009