Is there a file limit size of 2GB in JDK 1.5

Discussion in 'Java' started by zigzagdna, Sep 16, 2011.

  1. zigzagdna

    zigzagdna Guest

    I am on HP UNIX 11.2 which is 64 bit operating system. I am using JDK
    1.5 and using Java's File i/o to write my trace information to a file.
    I noticed that even though my program is running, it stopped writing
    any more information once trace file became 2GB.

    It cannot be HP UNIX limitation which is 64 bit, also file systems
    have been set to allow files larger than 2GB. I am surprise that
    java's i/o is 32 bit (yes java's version is most likely 32 bit).
    zigzagdna, Sep 16, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. zigzagdna

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:18:16 -0700 (PDT), zigzagdna
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
    said :

    >It cannot be HP UNIX limitation which is 64 bit, also file systems
    >have been set to allow files larger than 2GB. I am surprise that
    >java's i/o is 32 bit (yes java's version is most likely 32 bit).


    hmm. Java itself uses longs (64 bits) for file offsets. There is some
    native code that java.io. uses to hook into the OS. It might be
    designed for an older 32-bit HP API. Or it may be that partitions are
    old, 32-bit even under the new 64-bit os. You may have to reformat
    them to free up 64 bit power.

    Try an experiment with C to see if it too has this limit on that
    partition.

    Consider that Java 1.5 has been declared obsolete for quite some time
    now. JDK 1.7 is out. Try your code with 1.7 and see how it works.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Your top priority should be fixing bugs. If you carry on development,
    you are just creating more places you will have to search for them.
    Roedy Green, Sep 16, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. zigzagdna

    Tom Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:18:16 -0700, zigzagdna wrote:

    > I am on HP UNIX 11.2 which is 64 bit operating system. I am using JDK
    > 1.5 and using Java's File i/o to write my trace information to a file. I
    > noticed that even though my program is running, it stopped writing any
    > more information once trace file became 2GB.
    >
    > It cannot be HP UNIX limitation which is 64 bit, also file systems have
    > been set to allow files larger than 2GB. I am surprise that java's i/o
    > is 32 bit (yes java's version is most likely 32 bit).


    Is there a process limit in force? What does ulimit -a say ?
    Tom, Sep 19, 2011
    #3
  4. zigzagdna

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/16/2011 5:28 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:18:16 -0700 (PDT), zigzagdna
    > <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
    > said :
    >
    >> It cannot be HP UNIX limitation which is 64 bit, also file systems
    >> have been set to allow files larger than 2GB. I am surprise that
    >> java's i/o is 32 bit (yes java's version is most likely 32 bit).

    >
    > hmm. Java itself uses longs (64 bits) for file offsets. There is some
    > native code that java.io. uses to hook into the OS. It might be
    > designed for an older 32-bit HP API. Or it may be that partitions are
    > old, 32-bit even under the new 64-bit os. You may have to reformat
    > them to free up 64 bit power.
    >
    > Try an experiment with C to see if it too has this limit on that
    > partition.
    >
    > Consider that Java 1.5 has been declared obsolete for quite some time
    > now. JDK 1.7 is out. Try your code with 1.7 and see how it works.


    HP-UX != Windows

    HP-UX Java 1.5 is not obsolete. I don't even think HP has announced an
    EOL date. HP-UX Java 1.4.2 will be obsolete May 1st 2012.

    http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02690385/c02690385.pdf

    HP-UX Java 1.7 is not available yet.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 20, 2011
    #4
  5. On 19/09/2011 10:08 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 9/16/2011 5:28 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >> Consider that Java 1.5 has been declared obsolete for quite some time
    >> now. JDK 1.7 is out. Try your code with 1.7 and see how it works.

    >
    > HP-UX != Windows
    >
    > HP-UX Java 1.5 is not obsolete. I don't even think HP has announced an
    > EOL date. HP-UX Java 1.4.2 will be obsolete May 1st 2012.


    That just means that HP-UX is behind the times, not that Java 1.5 isn't.
    supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringe, Sep 21, 2011
    #5
  6. zigzagdna

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/21/2011 6:24 PM,
    supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations wrote:
    > On 19/09/2011 10:08 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 9/16/2011 5:28 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >>> Consider that Java 1.5 has been declared obsolete for quite some time
    >>> now. JDK 1.7 is out. Try your code with 1.7 and see how it works.

    >>
    >> HP-UX != Windows
    >>
    >> HP-UX Java 1.5 is not obsolete. I don't even think HP has announced an
    >> EOL date. HP-UX Java 1.4.2 will be obsolete May 1st 2012.

    >
    > That just means that HP-UX is behind the times, not that Java 1.5 isn't.


    It means that Java 1.5 is not obsolete and fully supported by the
    vendor on HP-UX.

    Which is the relevant facts.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 22, 2011
    #6
  7. zigzagdna

    Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations wrote:
    >> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>> Roedy Green wrote:
    >>>> Consider that Java 1.5 has been declared obsolete for quite some time
    >>>> now. JDK 1.7 is out. Try your code with 1.7 and see how it works.
    >>>
    >>> HP-UX != Windows
    >>>
    >>> HP-UX Java 1.5 is not obsolete. I don't even think HP has announced an
    >>> EOL date. HP-UX Java 1.4.2 will be obsolete May 1st 2012.

    >>
    >> That just means that HP-UX is behind the times, not that Java 1.5 isn't.

    >
    > It means that Java 1.5 is not obsolete and fully supported by the
    > vendor on HP-UX.
    >
    > Which is the relevant facts.


    Oracle has declared only their own version of Java 5 obsolete. Other vendors are free to do otherwise. Arne is, as usual, correct.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Sep 22, 2011
    #7
  8. zigzagdna

    thoolen Guest

    On 22/09/2011 9:13 AM, "Jane Doe", an obvious murphy sock, wrote:
    NaN> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer

    NaN> You ever find Derbysire (Seamus) being solid on Fact?

    Who is "Derbyshire (Seamus)", murphy? There is nobody in this newsgroup
    using that alias.

    NaN> I will save you the keystrokes.

    What does your classic erroneous presupposition that you're saving
    people keystrokes by adding one more off-topic article for them to mark
    read or hit control-K on have to do with Java, murphy?

    NaN> No.

    What does your denial have to do with Java, murphy?

    "I had 'volunteered (years back) to support those who do endeavor
    to provide free Free Usenet access, support those who offered
    subscription based Free Usenet access, nothing more than
    cooperation expected in return for what has been many
    thousands of hours of work. I note most of those I joined with
    are either deceased, severely disabled, or plain ole' MIA..
    now it is my Time. ...

    You just read my last. ...

    For those who think they see me in future times I can only wish
    you severe Tinnitus in your dreams. For those who know me
    well (eMail, whatever) and see me, know I will be smiling also.
    It is to you I say "adieu mein frenz and adios .. grazie' [hugs]
    for all the Good Times! May you and yours always bear well
    with all Life brings you".

    /0ut"
    --murphy

    http://www.uffnet.com/kookkamp/goodbye.htm

    And people wonder why I call them Famous Last Words.

    P.S. You forgot to include a copy of your famous paranoid "Lits o' Haet"
    in your post, murphy. Still suffering from memory problems, murphy?
    thoolen, Sep 22, 2011
    #8
  9. On 21/09/2011 8:25 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations
    >> On 19/09/2011 10:08 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>> HP-UX Java 1.4.2 will be obsolete May 1st 2012.

    >>
    >> That just means that HP-UX is behind the times, not that Java 1.5 isn't.

    >
    > It means that Java 1.5 is not obsolete and fully supported by the
    > vendor on HP-UX.


    Which just means that that vendor is behind the times. Of course, since
    it's a proprietary Unix vendor, that's hardly surprising.
    supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringe, Sep 22, 2011
    #9
  10. zigzagdna

    Jane Doe Guest

    Arne Vajhøj <>, wrote:

    >On 9/21/2011 6:24 PM,
    >supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations wrote:
    >> On 19/09/2011 10:08 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>> On 9/16/2011 5:28 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    >>>> Consider that Java 1.5 has been declared obsolete for quite some time
    >>>> now. JDK 1.7 is out. Try your code with 1.7 and see how it works.
    >>>
    >>> HP-UX != Windows
    >>>
    >>> HP-UX Java 1.5 is not obsolete. I don't even think HP has announced an
    >>> EOL date. HP-UX Java 1.4.2 will be obsolete May 1st 2012.

    >>
    >> That just means that HP-UX is behind the times, not that Java 1.5 isn't.

    >
    >It means that Java 1.5 is not obsolete and fully supported by the
    >vendor on HP-UX.
    >
    >Which is the relevant facts.
    >
    >Arne


    You ever find Derbysire (Seamus) being solid on Fact?
    I will save you the keystrokes.

    No.
    Jane Doe, Sep 22, 2011
    #10
  11. zigzagdna

    Lew Guest

    Jane Doe wrote:
    > You ever find Derbysire (Seamus) being solid on Fact?
    > I will save you the keystrokes.
    >
    > No.


    Please stay on topic here, and take your personal vendettas elsewhere.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Sep 22, 2011
    #11
  12. zigzagdna

    Jane Doe Guest

    Lew <>, wrote:

    >Jane Doe wrote:
    >> You ever find Derbysire (Seamus) being solid on Fact?
    >> I will save you the keystrokes.
    >>
    >> No.

    >
    >Please stay on topic here, and take your personal vendettas elsewhere.


    I can appreciate your point.
    However from what I have witnessed first hand you (particularly)
    are not mature enough in the Usenet sense to apply that same advice
    to the posts Derbyshire leads you "up the garden path" with.
    Even when you *know* his posts contains factual mistakes you
    grant the post credibility by an exchange which implies the
    disagreement is up for discussion.
    You ignore the other choice.
    Tell him to **** off. Or ignore the post.
    That's "maturity" in dealing with the Usenet child.

    Like, how many times is it required to *show* Derbyshire
    is running multiple names in cljp?
    Programmers are that dense?
    Or just you?
    Jane Doe, Sep 22, 2011
    #12
  13. zigzagdna

    Lew Guest

    On Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:40:08 PM UTC-7, Jane Doe wrote:
    > Lew <>, wrote:
    >
    > >Jane Doe wrote:
    > >> You ever find Derbysire (Seamus) being solid on Fact?
    > >> I will save you the keystrokes.
    > >>
    > >> No.

    > >
    > >Please stay on topic here, and take your personal vendettas elsewhere.

    >
    > I can appreciate your point.
    > However from what I have witnessed first hand you (particularly)
    > are not mature enough in the Usenet sense to apply that same advice
    > to the posts Derbyshire leads you "up the garden path" with.


    Plonk.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Sep 23, 2011
    #13
  14. zigzagdna

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/22/2011 9:01 AM,
    supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations wrote:
    > On 21/09/2011 8:25 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations
    >>> On 19/09/2011 10:08 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>>> HP-UX Java 1.4.2 will be obsolete May 1st 2012.
    >>>
    >>> That just means that HP-UX is behind the times, not that Java 1.5 isn't.

    >>
    >> It means that Java 1.5 is not obsolete and fully supported by the
    >> vendor on HP-UX.

    >
    > Which just means that that vendor is behind the times. Of course, since
    > it's a proprietary Unix vendor, that's hardly surprising.


    No.

    It is completely standard that server vendors support
    a Java version for more years than SUN/Oracle supports the free
    version.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 23, 2011
    #14
  15. On 22/09/2011 9:23 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 9/22/2011 9:01 AM,
    > supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations
    > wrote:
    >> On 21/09/2011 8:25 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>> supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations
    >>>> On 19/09/2011 10:08 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>>>> HP-UX Java 1.4.2 will be obsolete May 1st 2012.
    >>>>
    >>>> That just means that HP-UX is behind the times, not that Java 1.5
    >>>> isn't.
    >>>
    >>> It means that Java 1.5 is not obsolete and fully supported by the
    >>> vendor on HP-UX.

    >>
    >> Which just means that that vendor is behind the times. Of course, since
    >> it's a proprietary Unix vendor, that's hardly surprising.

    >
    > No.


    Yes.

    > It is completely standard that server vendors support
    > a Java version for more years than SUN/Oracle supports the free
    > version.


    It may be completely standard, but it is also the case that Java 1.5 is
    outdated and lacking in numerous features and other enhancements that
    are found in Java 6 and Java 7. HP should really migrate to Java 7 in
    preference to supporting Java 1.5.

    But ultimately it's their (inferred) lack of support for Java 7, rather
    than their support for 1.5, that is at issue.
    supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringe, Sep 23, 2011
    #15
  16. zigzagdna

    thoolen Guest

    On 22/09/2011 5:40 PM, "Jane Doe", an obvious murphy sock, wrote:
    NaN> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer

    NaN> I can appreciate your point.

    What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do
    with Java, murphy? You have never shown any capacity for "appreciating"
    any "point" involving your messages being off-topic or in other ways
    unwelcome or violating of social norms, murphy, as evidenced by the
    slimy trail of gigabytes of off-topic paranoid blather, punctuated by
    occasional flamewars, that you have left all over Usenet like some giant
    radiation-mutated snail.

    NaN> However from what I have witnessed first hand you (particularly)
    NaN> are not mature enough in the Usenet sense to apply that same advice
    NaN> to the posts Derbyshire leads you "up the garden path" with.

    Who is "Derbyshire", murphy? There is nobody in this newsgroup using
    that alias.

    NaN> Even when you *know* his posts contains factual mistakes you
    NaN> grant the post credibility by an exchange which implies the
    NaN> disagreement is up for discussion.

    How ironic, seeing as your posts contain numerous factual mistakes,
    expressed and implied.

    NaN> You ignore the other choice.
    NaN> Tell him to **** off. Or ignore the post.

    How ironic, coming from someone who seems to be incapable himself of
    ignoring the same posts.

    NaN> That's "maturity" in dealing with the Usenet child.

    Who is "the Usenet child", murphy? There is nobody in this newsgroup
    using that alias.

    NaN> Like, how many times is it required to *show* Derbyshire
    NaN> is running multiple names in cljp?

    Who is "Derbyshire", murphy? There is nobody in this newsgroup using
    that alias.

    NaN> Programmers are that dense?

    It isn't a sign of density when someone disbelieves or disregards you,
    murphy. In fact, it is a sign of density when someone listens to you and
    takes what you said seriously, murphy.

    NaN> Or just you?

    What does your question of Bloch have to do with Java, murphy?

    "I had 'volunteered (years back) to support those who do endeavor
    to provide free Free Usenet access, support those who offered
    subscription based Free Usenet access, nothing more than
    cooperation expected in return for what has been many
    thousands of hours of work. I note most of those I joined with
    are either deceased, severely disabled, or plain ole' MIA..
    now it is my Time. ...

    You just read my last. ...

    For those who think they see me in future times I can only wish
    you severe Tinnitus in your dreams. For those who know me
    well (eMail, whatever) and see me, know I will be smiling also.
    It is to you I say "adieu mein frenz and adios .. grazie' [hugs]
    for all the Good Times! May you and yours always bear well
    with all Life brings you".

    /0ut"
    --murphy

    http://www.uffnet.com/kookkamp/goodbye.htm

    And people wonder why I call them Famous Last Words.

    P.S. You forgot to include a copy of your famous paranoid "Lits o' Haet"
    in your post, murphy. Still suffering from memory problems, murphy?
    thoolen, Sep 23, 2011
    #16
  17. zigzagdna

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/23/2011 5:46 AM,
    supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations wrote:
    > On 22/09/2011 9:23 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 9/22/2011 9:01 AM,
    >> supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations
    >> wrote:
    >>> On 21/09/2011 8:25 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>>> supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations
    >>>>> On 19/09/2011 10:08 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>>>>> HP-UX Java 1.4.2 will be obsolete May 1st 2012.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> That just means that HP-UX is behind the times, not that Java 1.5
    >>>>> isn't.
    >>>>
    >>>> It means that Java 1.5 is not obsolete and fully supported by the
    >>>> vendor on HP-UX.
    >>>
    >>> Which just means that that vendor is behind the times. Of course, since
    >>> it's a proprietary Unix vendor, that's hardly surprising.

    >>
    >> No.

    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> It is completely standard that server vendors support
    >> a Java version for more years than SUN/Oracle supports the free
    >> version.

    >
    > It may be completely standard, but it is also the case that Java 1.5 is
    > outdated and lacking in numerous features and other enhancements that
    > are found in Java 6 and Java 7. HP should really migrate to Java 7 in
    > preference to supporting Java 1.5.


    I would assume HP knows more about their customers needs than you.

    > But ultimately it's their (inferred) lack of support for Java 7, rather
    > than their support for 1.5, that is at issue.


    The issue you raised was about Java 1.5.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 8, 2011
    #17
  18. On 07/11/2011 9:22 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 9/23/2011 5:46 AM,
    > supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations
    > wrote:
    >> It may be completely standard, but it is also the case that Java 1.5 is
    >> outdated and lacking in numerous features and other enhancements that
    >> are found in Java 6 and Java 7. HP should really migrate to Java 7 in
    >> preference to supporting Java 1.5.

    >
    > I would assume HP knows more about their customers needs than you.


    Unless their customers are very unusual (some sort of nouveau-Amish that
    decided to freeze their technology level at 2002 or something?), then
    it's pretty much a given that they want (at least the option of) the
    latest and greatest.

    This is much as if HP were shipping computers running Windows 98 instead
    of Vista and/or Windows 7. It doesn't matter if they keep supporting it
    -- Microsoft isn't anymore, and is the software's ultimate source, and
    furthermore the world has largely moved on, making compatibility an
    issue; and Windows 98 is unstable and full of bugs and security holes
    that a) are by now very widely known and b) are fixed in newer versions
    of Windows.

    I doubt you'd think it at all sensible for HP to ship computers running
    Windows 98 and refuse to support any newer version of Windows, even if
    they provided support for the obsolescent version they did ship. So why
    do you think differently when it's obsolescent versions of the JRE and JDK?

    >> But ultimately it's their (inferred) lack of support for Java 7, rather
    >> than their support for 1.5, that is at issue.

    >
    > The issue you raised was about Java 1.5.


    Obviously not, since I just explicitly said that it's lack of support
    for Java 7 that's the (greater?) sin.

    P.S. What got it into your head to drag this old, settled argument back
    up out of the group's archive months later and suddenly start disputing
    things again? Did you get bored and decide we needed a good
    old-fashioned flamewar around here to make things entertaining or
    something? Because I'm sure you're aware that the group's expressed
    purpose is neither flamage nor your personal entertainment but
    good-faith discussion of Java programming...also, you chose the wrong
    person to try to pick a fight with. If you want a descent into serious
    incivility, without being seen as the one to descend to that level first
    yourself, I won't oblige. I'd suggest you take Twisted's name in vain,
    but even he has apparently mellowed out; I doubt you'd get more of a
    rise out of him these days than a polite, but firm, "none of the nasty
    things are true" type of response. :) (But please don't even try it. I
    don't think we would benefit by the group being disrupted with a
    flamewar or a serious attempt to provoke one.)
    supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringe, Nov 8, 2011
    #18
  19. zigzagdna

    spk Guest

    Paul Derbyshire wrote:

    >things are true" type of response. :) (But please don't even try it. I
    >don't think we would benefit by the group being disrupted with a
    >flamewar or a serious attempt to provoke one.)


    ... seriously _you_ "we"[sic] threatening a "flamewar"[sic]
    How many hands have you got - sock free?

    Do not begin what you cannot finish, Paul.
    One name per newsgroup.

    Flames are old bait to you.
    http://tinyurl.com/8xe5bpy
    Display any maturity or even a different stroke.
    Whatever, your shtick grows very old very fast.
    spk, Nov 8, 2011
    #19
  20. zigzagdna

    Roedy Green Guest

    Java has used longs 64 bit addressing for files since day 1. Some
    older platforms had their own limits, but they did not come from Java.

    that gives you files up to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 bytes.
    9 exabytes. Not likely to be a problem any time soon.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Capitalism has spurred the competition that makes CPUs faster and
    faster each year, but the focus on money makes software manufacturers
    do some peculiar things like deliberately leaving bugs and deficiencies
    in the software so they can soak the customers for upgrades later.
    Whether software is easy to use, or never loses data, when the company
    has a near monopoly, is almost irrelevant to profits, and therefore
    ignored. The manufacturer focuses on cheap gimicks like dancing paper
    clips to dazzle naive first-time buyers. The needs of existing
    experienced users are almost irrelevant. I see software rental as the
    best remedy.
    Roedy Green, Nov 8, 2011
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Iblix
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,387
    Gary Milton
    Apr 16, 2004
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,052
    Victor Bazarov
    Jun 28, 2005
  3. Dundonald
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,338
    Mike Schilling
    Oct 5, 2007
  4. Slaunger
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,722
    Slaunger
    Jul 27, 2009
  5. Manuel Kasten

    FileTest.size > 2GB ?

    Manuel Kasten, Mar 12, 2006, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    83
Loading...

Share This Page