Is there a file limit size of 2GB in JDK 1.5

thoolen

On 08/11/2011 12:32 AM, "spk", an obvious murphy sock, wrote:
NaN> Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer

NaN> Paul Derbysh!re wrote:

What does your unsubstantiated claim regarding
supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations's
name have to do with Java, murphy?

NaN> .. seriously _you_ "we"[sic] threatening a "flamewar"[sic]

Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, murphy? He clearly
stated his *refusal* to get into a flamewar with Vajhøj, murphy.

NaN> How many hands have you got - sock free?

What does your non sequitur question of
supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations
have to do with Java, murphy?

NaN> Do not begin what you cannot finish, Paul.

Who is "Paul", murphy? There is nobody in this newsgroup using that alias.

NaN> One name per newsgroup.

What does your ironic demand of
supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations,
posted with the 27th nym you've used so far in this newsgroup, have to
do with Java, murphy?

NaN> Flames are old bait to you.

What does your unsubstantiated claim regarding
supercalifragilisticexpialadiamaticonormalizeringelimatisticantations
have to do with Java, murphy?

What does your URL have to do with Java, murphy?

NaN> Display any maturity or even a different stroke.

How ironic.

NaN> Whatever, your shtick grows very old very fast.

How ironic.

"I had 'volunteered (years back) to support those who do endeavor
to provide free Free Usenet access, support those who offered
subscription based Free Usenet access, nothing more than
cooperation expected in return for what has been many
thousands of hours of work. I note most of those I joined with
are either deceased, severely disabled, or plain ole' MIA..
now it is my Time. ...

You just read my last. ...

For those who think they see me in future times I can only wish
you severe Tinnitus in your dreams. For those who know me
well (eMail, whatever) and see me, know I will be smiling also.
It is to you I say "adieu mein frenz and adios .. grazie' [hugs]
for all the Good Times! May you and yours always bear well
with all Life brings you".

/0ut"
--murphy

http://www.uffnet.com/kookkamp/goodbye.htm

And some people wonder why I call them Famous Last Words.

P.S. You forgot to include a copy of your trademarked Lits o' Haet,
murphy. Still suffering from memory problems, murphy?

Eric Sosman

Java has used longs 64 bit addressing for files since day 1. Some
older platforms had their own limits, but they did not come from Java.

that gives you files up to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 bytes.
9 exabytes. Not likely to be a problem any time soon.

Quoth Wikitedium:

According to CSIRO, in the next decade, astronomers expect to
be processing 10 petabytes of data every hour from the Square
Kilometre Array (SKA) telescope. The array is thus expected to
generate approximately one exabyte every four days of
operation. According to IBM, the new SKA telescope initiative
will generate over an exabyte of data every day.

The same article has other rather startling estimates of present-day
data capacities and rates. Some appear to contradict each other, by
as much as 1-1.5 decimal orders of magnitude, but the overall burden
is clear: "64 bits" is not a synonym for "forever."

Gene Wirchenko

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 21:03:51 -0500, Eric Sosman

[snip]
The same article has other rather startling estimates of present-day
data capacities and rates. Some appear to contradict each other, by
as much as 1-1.5 decimal orders of magnitude, but the overall burden
is clear: "64 bits" is not a synonym for "forever."

Fortunately, we have zetta- and yotta-. There have been
suggestions for other prefixes beyond these, but I understand that
none of them have been officially adopted as SI.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko