Is there a function to search the HD

Peter Jensen

Hi all.

I was wondering if there is an inbuild function in python to search your
harddrives ( Harddisk's) for a file of a speciel type. I mean can I write a
command with 2 parameters ( one being the filetype, and the other the
location on the harddisk where I want to search for the specific file type )

Thank for all input...

Max M

Peter said:
Hi all.

I was wondering if there is an inbuild function in python to search your
harddrives ( Harddisk's) for a file of a speciel type. I mean can I write a
command with 2 parameters ( one being the filetype, and the other the
location on the harddisk where I want to search for the specific file type )

Thank for all input...

6.1 os -- Miscellaneous operating system interfaces

This module provides a more portable way of using operating system
dependent functionality than importing a operating system dependent
built-in module like posix or nt.

6.1.4 Files and Directories

walk( top[, topdown=True [, onerror=None]])

walk() generates the file names in a directory tree, by walking the tree
either top down or bottom up. For each directory in the tree rooted at
directory top (including top itself), it yields a 3-tuple (dirpath,
dirnames, filenames).

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science

Jeremy Sanders

I was wondering if there is an inbuild function in python to search your
harddrives ( Harddisk's) for a file of a speciel type. I mean can I write
a command with 2 parameters ( one being the filetype, and the other the
location on the harddisk where I want to search for the specific file type
)

On Unix, you may want to call locate to do the searching. This is a lot
faster than walking the file system yourself. You can use os.system to
call locate (see man locate for details).

Jeremy