    use Iron Python? (By the way, if the examples could be for python
    2.4.# it would be preferable.)

    Thanks,
    kj7ny, Jan 11, 2007

  2. kj7ny

    Larry Bates Guest

    Re: Is there a good example on instantiating, calling, using, anAPI from Python on Windows?

    kj7ny wrote:
    > Is there a good example on instantiating, calling, using, etc., an API
    > from Python?
    >
    > I need to use Python to talk to another system through that system's
    > API's on Windows XP.
    >
    > Can you point me to documentation and/or a good example of Python using
    > 3rd party API's? (Preferably a good example rather than just
    > documentation.)
    >
    > And, can I do this from Python 2.4.# or should I try to learn how to
    > use Iron Python? (By the way, if the examples could be for python
    > 2.4.# it would be preferable.)
    >
    > Thanks,

    When you say API what EXACLY do you mean. Is it a .DLL that you
    need to call (if so see ctypes module) or a COM API (if so see
    win32 module)? Other APIs could use sockets, pipes, etc. you will
    need to give us more to be able to help.

    -Larry
    Larry Bates, Jan 11, 2007

  3. kj7ny

    kj7ny Guest

    To be more exact, I am trying to use Python to talk to a Livelink
    system (http://www.opentext.com/) through their LAPI interface (.dll's,
    I think). I'll see if I can generate a more intelligent answer to your
    question, but for now, I'm far enough in the dark that this is as good
    as I can get.

    Thanks,
    kj7ny, Jan 12, 2007
  4. kj7ny

    Ben Sizer Guest

    kj7ny wrote:

    > To be more exact, I am trying to use Python to talk to a Livelink
    > system (http://www.opentext.com/) through their LAPI interface (.dll's,
    > I think). I'll see if I can generate a more intelligent answer to your
    > question, but for now, I'm far enough in the dark that this is as good
    > as I can get.

    API is a vague term referring to the interface to an application, which
    could take one of many forms. The form it takes dictates the method you
    need to use here.

    If indeed it is via DLLs, then the ctypes module may help. Otherwise,
    you need to find out precisely what form the API takes.

    --
    Ben Sizer
    Ben Sizer, Jan 12, 2007