Is there a good online reference for C++ libraries?

lars.uffmann

Okay, I guess the answer is "yes". But where can I find it?
I was thinking of something like php.net, just for c++. Preferably some
documentation that refers to the same standards that the gnu c++
compiler does (I'm using g++ V3.3.5 under Suse Linux 9.3).

In this specific case I wanna know the easiest way how to convert an
integer into a string variable (I mean which library / function to
use). I'm not a programming newbie by any means, but getting used to a
new developing environment sorta makes me feel like one all over again,
when I suddenly have to work without an extensive language reference
within my favourite editor and the likes...

I'm pretty happy with the way I can look up things on php.net, for php
- if there's anything similar for C++, I'd be overjoyed if you could
share the info :)

I like parashift.com, but is this:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/misc-technical-issues.html#faq-39.1
really the best way to do what otherwise could be a simple "alpha" << i
to make a string "alpha5" from i=5 ?

Best Regards,

Lars Uffmann

Mike Wahler

Okay, I guess the answer is "yes". But where can I find it?

I often use this online reference: http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

I also recommend this hard copy book: www.josuttis.com/libbook
[...]

You'll need to decide what 'best' means to you. It might
not mean the same to others.
to do what otherwise could be a simple "alpha" << i
to make a string "alpha5" from i=5 ?

-Mike

Phlip

Mike said:
You'll need to decide what 'best' means to you.  It might
not mean the same to others.

Google for 'boost::lexical_cast<>'. Then get a simple version that works,
not the eternally correct and un-borrow-able one at www.boost.org

That's the problem with C++ - we invented it before HTML, so it has no root
webpage or single controlling entity. So all the rules, guidelines, tricks,
and traps are scattered hither and yon.

Daniel T.

Okay, I guess the answer is "yes". But where can I find it?
I was thinking of something like php.net, just for c++. Preferably some
documentation that refers to the same standards that the gnu c++
compiler does (I'm using g++ V3.3.5 under Suse Linux 9.3).

My favorite site is: <http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/> for the stl stuff.
For everything else I just do a google search on the header name. Try
In this specific case I wanna know the easiest way how to convert an
integer into a string variable (I mean which library / function to
use). I'm not a programming newbie by any means, but getting used to a
new developing environment sorta makes me feel like one all over again,
when I suddenly have to work without an extensive language reference
within my favourite editor and the likes...

I like parashift.com, but is this:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/misc-technical-issues.html#faq-39.1
really the best way to do what otherwise could be a simple "alpha" << i
to make a string "alpha5" from i=5 ?

That's what it takes. You need to use a stream of some sort to convert
the integer into a string, and you need to format it properly if the
default isn't satisfactory.

Bob Hairgrove

That's the problem with C++ - we invented it before HTML

"we invented it" ... ??? I certainly had no part in it. It would be
interesting to hear what you did to help Bjarne Stroustrup back in
those days!

Roland Pibinger

In this specific case I wanna know the easiest way how to convert an
integer into a string variable (I mean which library / function to
I like parashift.com, but is this:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/misc-technical-issues.html#faq-39.1
really the best way to do what otherwise could be a simple "alpha" << i
to make a string "alpha5" from i=5 ?

No, but the C++ FAQ Lite contains many other useful and
understandable(!) tips. I'd write a function that internally uses
snprintf.

Best wishes,
Roland Pibinger