Is there a library to parse Mozilla "mork" documents?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paul Boddie, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Paul Boddie

    Paul Boddie Guest

    John Reese wrote:

    > Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird, and so forth use this awful format
    > called MORK to store all kinds of things: which messages you've read
    > in a newsgroup, headers and indexes into the mbox file of messages in
    > a mail folder, and address books. It's documented to some extent
    > here:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/arch/mork/primer.txt

    Hmmm. Wasn't David McCusker working for the OSA Foundation on Chandler
    at some point? Anyway, given the references to LDIF (and the fact that
    I have in the past exported address books from Netscape Communicator
    in LDIF format), the following specification might help:

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2849.html

    > Does anyone know of a Python library for parsing these files? A
    > single file basically just stores the equivalent of a nested
    > dictionary with text that can be declared separately and interpolated.
    > jwz has an over-specific perl version at
    > http://www.jwz.org/hacks/marginal.html, which I might have to try to
    > translate if there's nothing already available in Python.

    I'd look at the python-ldap project:

    http://python-ldap.sourceforge.net/

    The ldif module might be of relevance, but there isn't an example in
    the documentation which would confirm my suspicions.

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Jan 21, 2005