Is there a maximum heap size for the sun jvm under windows?

E. Ulrich Kriegel

Hi there,
I use the latest 1.4 version in a VMWare virual W2000 environment
running on a 2,6GByte Linux box. The virtual machine is started with
2448 GByte RAM, however, java crashes if I try to allocate more than
approx 1.6GByte for the heap. Is there a limit under windows - using
solaris that problem does not occur.

Thanks
--ulrich

Mark Thornton

E. Ulrich Kriegel said:
Hi there,
I use the latest 1.4 version in a VMWare virual W2000 environment
running on a 2,6GByte Linux box. The virtual machine is started with
2448 GByte RAM, however, java crashes if I try to allocate more than
approx 1.6GByte for the heap. Is there a limit under windows - using
solaris that problem does not occur.

Normally Windows only allows 2GB of address space for user code and
data. Within this 2GB comes all your code (including many DLLs) and
data. Some versions of Windows can be configured to allow 3GB for user
applications. So the 1.6GB limit you found is about as much as you could
expect, especially as the JVM requires the heap to be contiguous.

Mark Thornton