    solaris that problem does not occur.

    Thanks
    --ulrich
    E. Ulrich Kriegel, May 28, 2004

  2. E. Ulrich Kriegel wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I use the latest 1.4 version in a VMWare virual W2000 environment
    > running on a 2,6GByte Linux box. The virtual machine is started with
    > 2448 GByte RAM, however, java crashes if I try to allocate more than
    > approx 1.6GByte for the heap. Is there a limit under windows - using
    > solaris that problem does not occur.

    Normally Windows only allows 2GB of address space for user code and
    data. Within this 2GB comes all your code (including many DLLs) and
    data. Some versions of Windows can be configured to allow 3GB for user
    applications. So the 1.6GB limit you found is about as much as you could
    expect, especially as the JVM requires the heap to be contiguous.

    Mark Thornton
    Mark Thornton, May 29, 2004