Is there a module to organize and parse command line parameters?

Ulrich Scholz

I'm designing a workbench that lifts some repetitive work from the
programmers' shoulders and that eases the combination of algorithms
that have been developed by different authors.

One part of the workbench is the support for command line parameters.
The workbench should provide the following features:

- modules announce their command line options to a centralized module
- the workbench parses the command line
- it provides the parameters to the respective modules
- it provides a help option, automatically compiled from all announced
options

Now my question: Is there a generic module around that has (some of)
these features? I'm looking for something like log4j for logging.

Thanks,

Ulrich

Roedy Green

- modules announce their command line options to a centralized module
- the workbench parses the command line
- it provides the parameters to the respective modules
- it provides a help option, automatically compiled from all announced
options

You get parms as strings. Just what do you want?

I have written a parser for describing file trees on the command line
with subdirectory recursion. see
http://mindprod.com/products1.html#FILTER

What could you parameterise?

1. number with a low/high bound.

2. names of single letter options and the name of a corresponding
boolean. This is more a code generator than a package.

Thomas Kellerer

Ulrich Scholz, 14.09.2007 12:13:
I'm designing a workbench that lifts some repetitive work from the
programmers' shoulders and that eases the combination of algorithms
that have been developed by different authors.

One part of the workbench is the support for command line parameters.
The workbench should provide the following features:

- modules announce their command line options to a centralized module
- the workbench parses the command line
- it provides the parameters to the respective modules
- it provides a help option, automatically compiled from all announced
options

Now my question: Is there a generic module around that has (some of)
these features? I'm looking for something like log4j for logging.

What about

http://commons.apache.org/cli/