    java if there is such a thing.

    Thanks

    Andy
    Andy Chau, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Please don't crosspost.

    No, there isn't any way to compile to native code. There is a third-party
    production from RemoteSoft that reduces the size of the installation (giving
    it the appearance of a traditional .exe), but I haven't tried it.

    http://www.remotesoft.com/linker/

    Robert Jacobson, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Nice link. The prices seem high, but the tools look very interesting.

    Mountain Bikn' Guy, Nov 24, 2003
  4. "Robert Jacobson" <> wrote in message
    > Please don't crosspost.
    >
    > No, there isn't any way to compile to native code. There is a third-party
    > production from RemoteSoft that reduces the size of the installation

    (giving
    > it the appearance of a traditional .exe), but I haven't tried it.
    >
    > http://www.remotesoft.com/linker/
    >

    > "Andy Chau" <> wrote in message
    > > Is there a .NET or C# to native x86 compiler? I am not looking for just

    > > prejitter progrom like ngen, but a true native compiler like the gcc for
    > > java if there is such a thing.
    > >

    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Andy

    We are working on a .NET Native compiler. It will be part of LSW DotNet-Lab
    2.0 ( www.lesser-software.com/lswdnl.htm )
    Currently we are working on the 1.0 Final release which will contain our
    Reflection-Browser, Decompiler, Assembly Editor, our new Obfuscator with
    Control-Flow Obfuscation & our UML Diagrammer.
    We estimate spring 2004 for a prerelease of 2.0
    ..
    with best regards, Frank Lesser, www.lesser-software.com
    Frank Lesser [LSW], Nov 24, 2003
  5. No, but there is a way to native compile .NET: Remote Soft's Salamander .NET
    Native Compiler (www.remotesoft.com). NOTE: I have not tested the tool yet,
    so I do not know how well it lives up to its promise.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 1, 2003
  6. That's the same product I suggested. According to the site, it doesn't
    actually compile to native code -- it just extracts the necessary portions
    of the .Net Framework so you don't have to deploy the entire Framework
    Redistributable. It looks like a true native compilation feature might be
    on Salamander's "to do" list.

    message news:...

    Robert Jacobson, Dec 2, 2003
  7. > actually compile to native code -- it just extracts the necessary portions
    > of the .Net Framework so you don't have to deploy the entire Framework

    Doesn't that violate the redist license?
    -mike
    MVP

    Michael Giagnocavo [MVP], Dec 2, 2003
  8. Lets hope not, that thing looks like a super handy tool. If the framework
    was more like 1-2MB instead of 20+ it would not be an issue.

    Is there any way to get clarification on this issue from MS? I was thinking
    of purchasing this product, but not until I get the all clear about that
    redist license issue.

    Michael

    "Michael Giagnocavo [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > > actually compile to native code -- it just extracts the necessary

    portions
    > > of the .Net Framework so you don't have to deploy the entire Framework

    > Doesn't that violate the redist license?
    > -mike
    > MVP
    >

    > > "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> wrote

    in
    > > message news:...
    > > > No, but there is a way to native compile .NET: Remote Soft's

    Salamander
    > > .NET
    > > > Native Compiler (www.remotesoft.com). NOTE: I have not tested the tool

    > > yet,
    > > > so I do not know how well it lives up to its promise.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Gregory A. Beamer
    > > > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    > > > Think Outside the Box!
    > > > "Andy Chau" <> wrote in message

    > just

    > for

    ---
    Michael Pearson, Dec 3, 2003
  9. Probably.... along with any number of Microsoft copyrights. Plus it just
    sounds like bad voodoo. <g> I'd think twice before using this with a
    shipping commercial app.

    Robert Jacobson, Dec 3, 2003
  10. Frank Lesser [LSW] wrote:
    > We are working on a .NET Native compiler. It will be part of LSW
    > DotNet-Lab
    > 2.0 ( www.lesser-software.com/lswdnl.htm )

    I can understand a C# to native compiler, but a ".NET Native compiler" does
    not make sense. Can you explain what benefit there is in using it?

    In my opinion, if your product does not have code access security, automatic
    bounds checking, assembly verifiablitiy and validation then it is not safe
    to use. If it does not support a sizable subsection of the framework library
    then it is not particularly useful. If you have provided all of the security
    and a good chunk of the library then I would imagine that you would have
    nearly the bulk of the Microsoft .NET framework (which is free), in which
    case I don't see what benefit there is in purchasing another tool.

    Am I missing something?

    Richard
    --
    my email is encrypted with ROT13 (www.rot13.org)
    Richard Grimes [MVP], Dec 22, 2003
  11. "Richard Grimes [MVP]" <read my sig> wrote in message
    > Frank Lesser [LSW] wrote:
    > > We are working on a .NET Native compiler. It will be part of LSW
    > > DotNet-Lab
    > > 2.0 ( www.lesser-software.com/lswdnl.htm )

    > I can understand a C# to native compiler, but a ".NET Native compiler"

    does
    > not make sense. Can you explain what benefit there is in using it?
    >
    > In my opinion, if your product does not have code access security,

    automatic
    > bounds checking, assembly verifiablitiy and validation then it is not safe
    > to use. If it does not support a sizable subsection of the framework

    library
    > then it is not particularly useful. If you have provided all of the

    security
    > and a good chunk of the library then I would imagine that you would have
    > nearly the bulk of the Microsoft .NET framework (which is free), in which
    > case I don't see what benefit there is in purchasing another tool.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > Richard
    > --
    > my email is encrypted with ROT13 (www.rot13.org)

    Hi,
    most .NET apps use only a fraction of the framework. We know the topic very
    well from deploying Smalltalk apps - where you have image sizes comparable
    to the framework size ( Our current Smalltalk Development Image is 60-80 MB
    big - The LSW DotNet-Lab Binary is aprox 4 MB )
    Of course if your imaginary app uses every corner of the framework you will
    end up with an exe which is as big as the original framework. The current
    modularization of the framework doesn't allow to extract the code really
    needed in an easy way - it is main part of our work adding such a
    modularization concept.
    Frank
    Frank Lesser [LSW], Dec 23, 2003
  12. Andy Chau

    Anoop M Guest

    Microsoft should come up with a .NET runtime assembler which can assemble
    the required runtime installation for an application - after verifying an
    application. This may make the deployment easier ;).

    lol.

    After all, have a look at the Mono run time - a free implementation of .NET
    for linux. - http://www.go-mono.com

    Regs,
    Anoop

    Anoop M, Jan 2, 2004