is there a package similar to SHINY in R for python ...

anujg1984

I want to have textboxes, sliders, and buttons in the web browser that change the data visualization just like shiny does in R.

Is there something like that in python.
Bokeh makes graphs in the browser, but they dont provide a way to manipulate the graph with sliders, textboxes etc. ?

Dennis Lee Bieber

I want to have textboxes, sliders, and buttons in the web browser that change the data visualization just like shiny does in R.

Is there something like that in python.

Python doesn't really matter here... You've described HTML objects, and
for dynamic ones, you are likely talking either M$ "ASP", or Javascript
(unless you have a browser that can run embedded Python scripts).

At least, I'm guessing you don't intend to have every movement of a
"slider" trigger a page refresh from a server -- you want the action to
operate /in/ the browser. "In the browser" means the server language
doesn't matter -- it's solely the Javascript that gets sent to the browser.

Michael Torrie

Python doesn't really matter here... You've described HTML objects, and
for dynamic ones, you are likely talking either M$ "ASP", or Javascript
(unless you have a browser that can run embedded Python scripts).

At least, I'm guessing you don't intend to have every movement of a
"slider" trigger a page refresh from a server -- you want the action to
operate /in/ the browser. "In the browser" means the server language
doesn't matter -- it's solely the Javascript that gets sent to the browser.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about tools that make it really slick to
put up graphs in a window and manipulate them with GUI controls.
Nothing to do with html or web programming here, at least not what the
OP was asking for.

Such things can be done in Python using a GUI library, but that's quite
a bit more work than using the SHINY library appears to be in R. The OP
might be advised to check out the SciPy forums and mailing lists. Or
talk to the folks at the Sage project.

Dennis Lee Bieber

I'm pretty sure he's talking about tools that make it really slick to
put up graphs in a window and manipulate them with GUI controls.
Nothing to do with html or web programming here, at least not what the
OP was asking for.
Except he did state "... in the web browser ...", so I responded on
that side...

Apparently "shiny" is rather new... It isn't mentioned in any of: R in
a Nutshell 2nd ed; R Graphics Cookbook; R Graphics 2nd ed; The R Book 2nd
ed; Guidebook to R Graphics Using Microsoft Windows, nor Using R for
Introductory Statistics...

Michael Torrie

Except he did state "... in the web browser ...", so I responded on
that side...

You're right of course. Sorry about that. I kind of wondered why he
was asking when R does the job.

Dennis Lee Bieber

You're right of course. Sorry about that. I kind of wondered why he
was asking when R does the job.
In my short glance at the Shiny web site, apparently beside the local
host mode, they provide a web server mode too.

Hmmm, if they want a framework -- maybe Shiny and R can be used via the
RPy package? (long way around, but... <G>)