Is there a perl package, or data in a form easily used by a perlscript, that can be used to determin

Ted Byers

Ted Byers schreef:

I have no clue what you are trying to achieve, or rather mess up, so I
can't anwer that question.
But if you want to install specific Perl modules on a Windows system in
a clean way, just use the latest ActiveState or the Vanilla Perl tools.

All I'm after is to make sure the timezone data I have is up to date.
I routinely use ActiveState's PPM to install packages, and I use CPAN
as a fallback option when the package I'm after isn't in a PPM
repository. The documentation for DateTime::TimeZone doesn't say
which version of the Olson data it uses, so I can't be sure it uses
the current Olson data unless someone can confirm that.

Thanks

Ted

Dr.Ruud

Ted Byers schreef:
The documentation for DateTime::TimeZone doesn't say
which version of the Olson data it uses, so I can't be sure it uses
the current Olson data unless someone can confirm that.

DateTime::TimeZone::Catalog->OlsonVersion()

Peter J. Holzer

These are notoriously incompatible between systems. For Linux just find
all files below /usr/share/zoneinfo. For Windows, there is probably some
API to get this information.

For converting between UTC and some timezone, you don't have to know
that. Just tell the system which timezone to use.
Impossible. If it were by country then at least you would have a chance.
But there are so many special rules and exceptions, in particular in the
US where even individual counties deviate from their state, not to
mention indian reservations that do or do not, etc, etc. It's just plain
a mess.

That's why the Linux (or rather glibc) timezone system uses city names
as keys. So I use the "Europe/Vienna" timezone, and you would presumably
use the "Europe/Berlin" timezone (you may not live in Berlin, but AFAIK
all of Germany uses the the same DST rules - if the Bavarians had a
different system, there would be a "Europe/Munich" timezone. If there
are two different rules for different parts of a city, that can be
easily extended (for example, if the GDR used a different system than
the FRG, there could be a "Europe/East-Berlin" timezone).

hp

Peter J. Holzer

Actually no. This is to interact with a database on a server that
serves a web application. Messing with the environment settings on
the server for the timezone is guaranteed to fail.

The environment of a unix machine is a per-process property. Changing
the environment of one process doesn't affect other processes at all.
For example, there could be simultaneous requests for data applicable
to different locations.

That would only be a problem if these requests are served by the same
process and this process interleaves processing of these requests.

hp