Is there a "poor man's" perldoc?

Peter J. Holzer

You lost me with these 3. The debug tools on dev are the only difference
between the two and it doesen't manifest on dev ??

No. He didn't say that they are the *only* difference. He said that this
is an *obvious* difference, so saying that prod and dev are identical is
bullshit. The IT department just thinks the differences are irrelevant.

There may be other differences which the IT department thinks are
irrelevant.

One difference between prod and dev which should be obvious to everybody
is:

Users.

The prod system has real users, the dev system doesn't. At best it has a
handful of carefully chosen test users which behave completely
differently than real users.

So you need all the monitoring and debugging aids on prod, because
that's where the problem occurs.

Please note that "monitoring and debugging" is not the same as "making
changes". You need to be free to see what's going on on the production
server, but any change you make must go through proper change
management.

There must be some serious background proceses hooking going on, on dev.

Huh? I don't understand this sentence.
So, you want to put debug tools on production, making it identical to dev?

I want the tools I need to find the problem on the server where the
problem occurs. They are useless where the problem doesn't occur. It's
like the old joke about the man who's looking for his keys under a
street lamp:
Passerby: What are you looking for?
Man: My house keys.
Passerby: Did you lose them here?
Man: Probably not. I think I lost them over there.
(points into a dark alley)
Passerby: Then why are you looking here?
Man: Because here I can see.

hp

Martijn Lievaart

You know, sometimes security is best served by giving an admin the tools
to reduce their response time to an incident. That gives them the time
to ascertain whether the incident is merely an innocent crash or an
actual exploit attempt.

Don't get me started, I work as a security officer too. Most notable tool
of software not installed for security reasons is 'lsof'. Which means I
cannot investigate certain kinds of incidents in a competent manner.

That and a monitoring team that create tickets because I executed 'man'
as root (yes installed on that machine). That email has decorated the
wall for quite some time.

M4