is there a project running (GUI Builder for Python ) ?

azrael

To be honest, in compare to Visual Studio, Gui Builders for wx widgets
are really bad. Also completly for python there is not one good
GuiBuilder. The only one I have seen that would come near VS was
BoaConstructor, But the number of Bugs is just horrific. Too bad that
no one is developing it further.

Do you know if there is any project curently running for GUI builders,
maybe for WX, That I could maybe join.

J Kenneth King

azrael said:
To be honest, in compare to Visual Studio, Gui Builders for wx
widgets are really bad.

That's because Visual Studio is a Microsoft product to build
interfaces for Microsoft products.

wx on the other hand is cross platform and ergo, much more
complicated.
Do you know if there is any project curently running for GUI
builders, maybe for WX, That I could maybe join.

You could help wx. Make your own gui builder if you think you could do
better. There's also GTK and Qt... and probably many others.

Stef Mientki

azrael said:
To be honest, in compare to Visual Studio, Gui Builders for wx widgets
are really bad. Also completly for python there is not one good
GuiBuilder. The only one I have seen that would come near VS was
BoaConstructor, But the number of Bugs is just horrific. Too bad that
no one is developing it further.

Do you know if there is any project curently running for GUI builders,
maybe for WX, That I could maybe join.
Well I come from Delphi, and compared to Delphi, even Visual Studio
vanishes ;-)
I also tried to start with wxGlad, Boa, XRC ....
.... but they were full of bugs, or even couldn't be started.
The best seems to be PyQt, but the license is (still) terrible (and
maybe only their stories are much better than the real result ;-).
I didn't try XRC, because I found it much too difficult,
but instead I wrote a small program,
making a much easier version of the XRC-idea.
And after a few months,
I don't even notice the difference between Delphi (which I'm still using)
and wxPython.

I think this story happened to other people to,
so instead of putting a lot of effort in designing and maintaining a GUI
builders,
it might be better to choose another solution.

btw, the idea I used, can be seen here]
http://mientki.ruhosting.nl/data_www/pylab_works/pw_gui_support.html
and the code can be found here
http://code.google.com/p/pylab-works/downloads/list

cheers,
Stef

azrael

That's because Visual Studio is a Microsoft product to build
interfaces for Microsoft products.

wx on the other hand is cross platform and ergo, much more
complicated.

I think that WX is really great but there is really a great lack of a
builder.

You could help wx. Make your own gui builder if you think you could do
better. There's also GTK and Qt... and probably many others.

I think that this would be a great mistake. Let's sit down and make my
own gui builder. I think That some people should sit together and
discuss what we need to make a good GUI builder. I am in. Who would
like to join me.

gc_ottawa

.......I come from Delphi, and compared to Delphi, even Visual Studio
vanishes ;-)
............I don't even notice the difference between Delphi (which
I'm still using)
and wxPython.

I think this story happened to other people to,
so instead of putting a lot of effort in designing and maintaining a GUI
builders,
it might be better to choose another solution.

btw, the idea I used, can be seen here]http://mientki.ruhosting.nl/data_www/pylab_works/pw_gui_support.html
and the code can be found herehttp://code.google.com/p/pylab-works/downloads/list

cheers,
Stef

You know, 10 or more years ago both Borland and Microsoft got it right
when they incorporated a GUI with an IDE in their Delphi and Visual
Basic products. As wonderful as the Python language is, it is very
much a work in progress when compared to the ease of use of the
aforementioned products. These products revolutionized the industry
with their "Rapid Applications Development" (RAD).

Python reminds me of a toolbox filled with a multitude of single use
tools when all you need is a Skilsaw and a combination screwdriver.
Gord

azrael

This isn't a Python problem - really. Please discuss your issues with
the WX Gui builder on a WX list. We can't do anything about it.

Christian

How come that it is a problem for the people from WX. It is also a
problem of Python. Python people say that that is not their problem.
Let wX team make the work. But we, who program in python use also wX.
The development of such a tool would make us all a big favour. Well if
99 percent of computer users use GUIs an prefer it in comparison with
comand line, Why should it be a pain in the ass to make a application
that we could offer to normal common users.

David Cournapeau

How come that it is a problem for the people from WX. It is also a
problem of Python. Python people say that that is not their problem.
Let wX team make the work. But we, who program in python use also wX.
The development of such a tool would make us all a big favour. Well if
99 percent of computer users use GUIs an prefer it in comparison with
comand line, Why should it be a pain in the ass to make a application
that we could offer to normal common users.

Because not all discussion related to python happens on this ML- this
has nothing to do with the usefulness of GUI per-se. This is about
general questions about python.

David

Hendrik van Rooyen

To be honest, in compare to Visual Studio, Gui Builders for wx widgets
are really bad. Also completly for python there is not one good
GuiBuilder. The only one I have seen that would come near VS was
BoaConstructor, But the number of Bugs is just horrific. Too bad that
no one is developing it further.

What are these horrific bugs - I was forced to use Boa on a project
recently, and I did not notice any - In fact, I was impressed because
everything that was there, seemed to be working properly.

- Hendrik

J Kenneth King

[...]

.... So use the combination screwdriver.

Python isn't all things to all people. It is what it is.