Is there a python development site for putting up python librariesthat people might be interest in w

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kenneth McDonald, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. Over the last couple of years, I've built a module called rex that lays
    on top of (and from the user's point of view, hides) the re module. rex
    offers the following advantages over re.

    * Construction of re's is object oriented, and does not require any
    knowledge of re syntax.
    * rex is _very good_ at combining small re's into larger re's. In fact,
    this sort of composition is almost effortless. It greatly simplifies the
    creation of complex re's, since you can build smaller re's, build test
    code for them, compose them, build test code for the composition,
    compose again, etc.
    * Reading and understanding re's built with rex is much easier than
    understanding primitive re's.
    * No re metacharacters are used by rex. for example, a pattern to match
    any character except a, b, or c is just
    'not CHAR("abc")' rather [^abc]. A pattern to recognize all of a, b,
    c and "^" is CHAR("^abc").
    * Many useful predefined patterns are defined. For example PAT.float
    matches floating point numbers, so a simple pattern to recognize complex
    numbers is PAT.float + ALT("+", "-") + PAT.float + "i"
    * The match result object returned by rex is much more flexible, and has
    many more functions than that returned by re. Commonly performed
    operations on match results can often be done with much less (and much
    clearer) code than re.

    I had hoped to polish this for a 'true' 1.0 release, but it's become
    obvious to me that I won't get to do this in the foreseeable future.
    Here is the current status of the project.

    * rex is already highly functional. I use it all the time, and I have
    had very few bugs emerge. The testing code is fairly comprehensive, and
    every time I do find a bug, I've put in another test case. I haven't use
    pure re's in over a year and a half.
    * rex supports almost all re functionality. Backrefs and a couple of the
    new re features added in (I think) python 2.4 are not yet supported, but
    should be easy to put in.
    * There are some other very useful functions I've partially implemented,
    but not finished to the point they can be used. This should be quite
    easy, I just haven't had the need.
    * I'm not entirely sure the API is ideal. Some discussion is needed on this.
    * Internal documentation is decent, but not great.
    * Internal code is again decent, but not great.
    * User's documentation is not bad, but somewhat out of date. One of the
    problems here is that rex makes use of a lot of constants, which cannot
    be documented using Python's docstrings. In addition, rex is complex
    enough that it needs an external manual or good html ref, and none of
    the multiple attempts at pure Python doc systems do this well for
    everything that is needed. Now that d'oxygen works with Python, I would
    like to redo all of the documentation in D'oxygen.
    * Everything is in a single file. This should be split up.

    I would like to avoid putting this up on sourceforge as I think it would
    do much better at a site aimed specifically at Python development.

    Given the above, are people interested in seeing this as a project they
    might be interested in working on? And where should I created the project?

    Thanks,
    Ken
    Kenneth McDonald, Oct 25, 2006

  2. Kenneth McDonald

    Guest

    Re: Is there a python development site for putting up python libraries that people might be interest in working on?

    Kenneth McDonald:
    > * Construction of re's is object oriented, and does not require any
    > knowledge of re syntax.

    I have partially done something similar, so I am interested.
    Does rex outputs normal REs? Or does it wraps them in some way? A
    normal RE output has some advantages, even if you can't have some
    functionalities.

    > * I'm not entirely sure the API is ideal. Some discussion is needed on this.

    The API is probably the most important thing in this kind of code. It
    requires care, good initial design, and a lot of practical usage by
    some people.

    > * Everything is in a single file. This should be split up.

    Sometimes a single file is good too, because it makes the management
    simpler, you don't need to keep directories, etc. So you can keep it
    that way, or maybe you can (automatically) keep two versions, one
    single file and one splitted in more files.

    Many constants: maybe there are ways to design the code to use less
    constants, like making it accept strings as arguments instead of
    constants, like rex.fun("foo") instead of rex.fun(rex.FOO), like
    Tkinter does.

    > I would like to avoid putting this up on sourceforge as I think it would
    > do much better at a site aimed specifically at Python development.

    Cheeseshop?

    Bye,
    bearophile
    , Oct 25, 2006

  3. Kenneth McDonald schrieb:
    > I would like to avoid putting this up on sourceforge as I think it would
    > do much better at a site aimed specifically at Python development.

    As somebody else said: you should put the code and announce the package
    at the Cheeseshop: cheeseshop.python.org.

    This doesn't offer "project hosting", i.e. it won't give you mailing
    lists, public source code repositories, project websites, etc. If
    you need these, you should still go to one of the project hosters
    (where sf.net is the most prominent one).

    Regards,
    Martin
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Oct 25, 2006
  4. Kenneth McDonald wrote:
    > I would like to avoid putting this up on sourceforge as I think it would
    > do much better at a site aimed specifically at Python development.

    I've been using python-hosting.com for the argparse module and found it
    to be a pretty good solution. They offer free Trac/Subversion hosting
    for any open-source Python projects:

    http://www.webfaction.com/freetrac

    Steve
    Steven Bethard, Oct 25, 2006