Is there a right way to do a data entry form?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by needin4mation@gmail.com, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have a set of textboxes. If it is a new record the textboxes are
    empty and there is a save button. If this is an existing record, I
    have a search form, a datagrid and the user selects form the datagrid
    and the same set of textboxes now populates for editing with an update
    button.

    I know I can set up a datalist or datagrid to do this "automatically,"
    but I want two things. I want the search list to look like a datagrid,
    that is the rows, datasheet look, and a nice form. I don't see a way
    to have both of them except to do it the way described above.

    It just feels wrong to do a select for my search results and then go to
    a whole other page (or maybe the same page different panel) and bind
    data back to a set of textboxes for data entry, when the various
    controls will do that for me.

    Any thoughts on this are appreciated. I am concerned I am still
    thinking in classic asp terms. I cannot find any good examples on the
    Internet other than what I have already described. Thank you.

    , Sep 28, 2005

  2. Terry Olsen Guest

    Are you saying that you don't want to use the Datagrid for the actual
    editing of a record? I've done it both ways. Some pages I edit the records
    directly in the DataGrid, and others, I select the item from the Datagrid
    and send the data to an edit page filled with various textboxes,
    dropdownlists, etc. I get the data to the edit page using an ArrayList and
    passing through a Session.Item("MyArrayList").

    Terry Olsen, Sep 28, 2005

    I've done it both ways too. I juse feel like that isn't correct of
    that I'm missing something.

    , Sep 28, 2005

    Maybe there is not standard way to doing it.

    , Sep 28, 2005
  5. Jon Paal Guest

    I usually have the search parameter options available at the top of the page. If the user submits parameters then a search is
    conducted on the page postback and the results displayed in the datagrid on the same page. search parametrs are redisplayed for the
    user's reference.

    Tax the churches so the poor can eat

    Jon Paal, Sep 28, 2005

    What about the editing part?

    , Sep 29, 2005
  7. Jon Paal Guest

    Each record displayed has a link which posts back with the record id. that id is used to look up record and display it in a form to
    allow modifications.

    Tax the churches so the poor can eat.

    Jon Paal, Oct 7, 2005