is there a standard way to "install" egg-files under windows ?

Stef Mientki

hello,

after 4 months playing around with Python,
and I still have troubles with egg files.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If I google on "python egg", I get lost of links,
which contains huge pages of information,
and I'm totally scared off.

I've used several methods,
the last one, success with 1 egg file, no success with another egg-file:
- download ez_setup.py and put it in a sub-directory of the Python path
- open an Python IDE
- open the ez_setup.py in the IDE
- dump the egg files in the same directory as ez_setup.py
- set in the IDE, the commandline parameters to the egg-filename (no path)
- run ez_setup.py in the IDE

Can someone tell how to install an egg file in just 1 line ?
Or even better, can there be an icon on the desktop, where I just can drop the egg-file ?

thanks,
Stef Mientki

Diez B. Roggisch

Stef said:
[...]

setuptools - which you install using the ez_setup.py - will install a
script called easy_install. Under unix, this is installed in /usr/bin,
I'm not sure where it is installed under windows - go use a search.

But this script takes an egg-file as argument, and installs it.

So - either open the shell of your choice and type

easy_install <egg>

or maybe you can even use that via drag-n-drop to a desktop-link to that
easy_install-script, as dropping an egg over a program icon should pass
that as first argument.

Diez

Duncan Booth

Diez B. Roggisch said:
setuptools - which you install using the ez_setup.py - will install a
script called easy_install. Under unix, this is installed in /usr/bin,
I'm not sure where it is installed under windows - go use a search.

It puts easy_install.exe (and variations on it) in C:\Python25\Scripts
(replace C:\Python25 with the path to your python installation).

John Nagle

".egg" files are actually ".zip" files. So you can
rename them to ".zip" and unpack them where they need to go.
This is usually easier than debugging "easy_install".

John Nagle

stef

John said:
".egg" files are actually ".zip" files. So you can
rename them to ".zip" and unpack them where they need to go.
This is usually easier than debugging "easy_install".

John Nagle
thanks guys,

I'm slowly getting the picture.
Now knowing it's a zip file,
and trying several egg-files through easy_install,
I noticed different things,
- sometimes the egg is unzipped and placed in the "site-package" directory
- sometimes it's just copied (unzipped) to the site-package directory.

My first conclusion that egg-installation didn't work sometimes,
has probably to do with version conflicts between the already installed
libs and the new to install libs,
but I guess that's the benefit of open source ;-)

So if that's all, the renaming to .zip might be a less obscure way of
working.

cheers,
Stef Mientki