Is there a test suite for C ?

Spiros Bousbouras

Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
so why not C ?

Guy Macon

Spiros said:
Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
so why not C ?

If only there was some sort of web site where you could type in
[ C test suite ] or [ C++ tst suite ] and have it search the web
for you. Wouldn't that be great? I bet you could make a lot of
money doing that. you could call it a "search engine" or
"searching robot."

Alas, no such web site exists, so we all have to post our
questions in Usenet newsgroups. :(

Spiros Bousbouras

Spiros said:
Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
so why not C ?

If only there was some sort of web site where you could type in
[ C test suite ] or [ C++ tst suite ] and have it search the web
for you. Wouldn't that be great? I bet you could make a lot of
money doing that. you could call it a "search engine" or
"searching robot."

I was looking for informed comments on what exists,
the special difficulties C language presents in creating
one and any other comments whose content I couldn't
predict by the knowledgeable people here. That's a lot
more than what I could get from a list produced by a
search engine. But I admit that I was under the impression
that none exists and that influenced my posting here.
Alas, no such web site exists, so we all have to post our
questions in Usenet newsgroups. :(

Not to mention sarcastic comments.

user923005

If only there was some sort of web site where you could type in
[ C test suite ] or [ C++ tst suite ] and have it search the web
for you. Wouldn't that be great? I bet you could make a lot of
money doing that. you could call it a "search engine" or
"searching robot."

I was looking for informed comments on what exists,
the special difficulties C language presents in creating
one and any other comments whose content I couldn't
predict by the knowledgeable people here. That's a lot
more than what I could get from a list produced by a
search engine. But I admit that I was under the impression
that none exists and that influenced my posting here.

Alas, no such web site exists, so we all have to post our
questions in Usenet newsgroups. :(

Not to mention sarcastic comments.

The GCC compiler comes with a nice regression suite.
I suggest to start with that, and then buy a commercial one if it does
not suit your needs.