    not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
    implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
    so why not C ?

    Spiros Bousbouras, Sep 7, 2007

  2. Spiros Bousbouras

    Guy Macon Guest

    Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

    >Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
    >language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
    >not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
    >implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
    >so why not C ?

    If only there was some sort of web site where you could type in
    [ C test suite ] or [ C++ tst suite ] and have it search the web
    for you. Wouldn't that be great? I bet you could make a lot of
    money doing that. you could call it a "search engine" or
    "searching robot."

    Alas, no such web site exists, so we all have to post our
    questions in Usenet newsgroups. :(

    Guy Macon, Sep 7, 2007

  3. Spiros Bousbouras

    user923005 Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=C validation suite

    user923005, Sep 8, 2007
  4. On Sep 7, 7:56 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote:
    > Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
    > >Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
    > >language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
    > >not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
    > >implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
    > >so why not C ?

    > If only there was some sort of web site where you could type in
    > [ C test suite ] or [ C++ tst suite ] and have it search the web
    > for you. Wouldn't that be great? I bet you could make a lot of
    > money doing that. you could call it a "search engine" or
    > "searching robot."

    I was looking for informed comments on what exists,
    the special difficulties C language presents in creating
    one and any other comments whose content I couldn't
    predict by the knowledgeable people here. That's a lot
    more than what I could get from a list produced by a
    search engine. But I admit that I was under the impression
    that none exists and that influenced my posting here.

    > Alas, no such web site exists, so we all have to post our
    > questions in Usenet newsgroups. :(

    Not to mention sarcastic comments.

    Spiros Bousbouras, Sep 10, 2007
  5. Spiros Bousbouras

    user923005 Guest

    On Sep 10, 9:49 am, Spiros Bousbouras <> wrote:
    > On Sep 7, 7:56 pm, Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote:
    >
    > > Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
    > > >Is there a suite to verify that a C compiler understands the
    > > >language correctly and produces correct code ? If not why
    > > >not ? There is such a suite (not associated with any specific
    > > >implementation) for Common Lisp which is a bigger language
    > > >so why not C ?

    > > If only there was some sort of web site where you could type in
    > > [ C test suite ] or [ C++ tst suite ] and have it search the web
    > > for you. Wouldn't that be great? I bet you could make a lot of
    > > money doing that. you could call it a "search engine" or
    > > "searching robot."

    > I was looking for informed comments on what exists,
    > the special difficulties C language presents in creating
    > one and any other comments whose content I couldn't
    > predict by the knowledgeable people here. That's a lot
    > more than what I could get from a list produced by a
    > search engine. But I admit that I was under the impression
    > that none exists and that influenced my posting here.
    >

    > > Alas, no such web site exists, so we all have to post our
    > > questions in Usenet newsgroups. :(

    > Not to mention sarcastic comments.

    The GCC compiler comes with a nice regression suite.
    I suggest to start with that, and then buy a commercial one if it does
    not suit your needs.

    user923005, Sep 10, 2007