Is there a trick for clear:left not to affect parent divs

Floortje

Hi, I have cerated a page with a 2 colum layout by floating the left
column top the left and adding a left margin to the main div.

The only problem is when I float divs in the main div I cant use
clear:left anymore since it does not only clear the floating divs in the
main div bu also the floating div outside the main div.

Does anymone know a workaround that lets me keep the left div floating ?

Here is the html:
<head>
#page{width:800px;margin 0 auto;}
#header{background-color:#1D1;height:50px;}
#left{background-color:#C2C;float:left;width:200px;}
#main{background-color:#EFE;margin-left:220px}
#footer{background-color:#ABA;clear:both;height:50px;}

..lft{float:left;width:200px;}

</head>
left<br />
left<br />
left<br />
left<br />
left<br />
left<br />
but I cant use clear:left. If I use clear left the div drops below the
the div#left;</div>

See an example on arjenkarel.nl/test.php and arjenkarel.nl/test2.php

floortje

rf

Floortje said:
Hi, I have cerated a page with a 2 colum layout by floating the left
column top the left and adding a left margin to the main div.

The only problem is when I float divs in the main div I cant use
clear:left anymore since it does not only clear the floating divs in
the main div bu also the floating div outside the main div.

Does anymone know a workaround that lets me keep the left div
floating ?

Let the the main div establish a a block formatting context. The best way is
to specify overvflow: auto;

Mentioned here
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#flow-control

Follow the 'block formatting contexts' link to here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#block-formatting

rf

rf said:
Let the the main div establish a a block formatting context. The best
way is to specify overvflow: auto;

It's getting late :) overflow: auto; of course.

richard

Hi, I have cerated a page with a 2 colum layout by floating the left
column top the left and adding a left margin to the main div.

The only problem is when I float divs in the main div I cant use
clear:left anymore since it does not only clear the floating divs in the
main div bu also the floating div outside the main div.

Does anymone know a workaround that lets me keep the left div floating ?

The simple solution would be to have two divisions not floated at all.
Inside the first division you would then have the two floating
divisions.

Play with the "float:none" and see which way it works best for what
you want.

You could also wrap all inside a main container if you'd like.

dorayme

Floortje said:
Hi, I have cerated a page with a 2 colum layout by floating the left
column top the left and adding a left margin to the main div.

The only problem is when I float divs in the main div I cant use
clear:left anymore since it does not only clear the floating divs in the
main div bu also the floating div outside the main div.

Does anymone know a workaround that lets me keep the left div floating ?

Here is the html:

See an example on arjenkarel.nl/test.php and arjenkarel.nl/test2.php

Stick a missing colon in your CSS. But more importantly try overflow:
hidden (or auto) on your #main div.

However, take a look at Opera when you do this!

Remove the margin altogether on #main and for a bit of grace, put in
padding-left: 20px; This brings Opera on board.

However... no we are not done (we are never done whilst ever IE is
stomping all over this world):

Take IE7!

To fix,

1. Hide the (clearing) style altogether on the div that contains your
words "This should be on a new line"from IE's eyes.

2. For IE eyes only, put the margin-left: 220px back in instead of the
padding I suggested above on your #main.

3. For IE eyes only, put in a <br /> after the last div of class "lft"

You can do these things by classing the div you want to clear and using
conditionals for IE, also let IE see a different CSS. If you need help
on this, shout out.

The other way to go is to recast the whole thing. But I will stop for
now.

Floortje

dorayme schreef:
The other way to go is to recast the whole thing. But I will stop for
now.

Thx u verry much ! This has given me a new perspective :)

Floortje