Is There a Way to Mask the Entry Page?

Ken Hall

I am trying to devise a way to mask the first page a person goes to on
my website. I sell piece of software. The easiest way for me to
arrange the sale is to use PayPal who then will route the purchaser to
a target HTML page on my website. But, if the buyer knows which page
they are going to, they can pass that page around and others can
pirate the program. (Yes, I know they can pass the program itself
around, but every developer has that problem. At least I don't want
the download address posted on the net.)

The address (entry page) used by PayPal does not change, so I would
like to relay purchasers from the entry page in a way they can't know
the address of the entry page.

Anybody know a way to do this?

I'm not a very sophisticated HTML person. I depend pretty much on
HTML page creator programs.

-- Ken

Travis Newbury

I am trying to devise a way to mask the first page a person goes to on
my website...

I will tell you in a reply to this post in 6 days. Oh wait, this post
will be gone in 6 days so I guess I won't be able to answer you.
I'm not a very sophisticated HTML person. I depend pretty much on
HTML page creator programs.

Well since there are others like you, why the hell do you insist on
removing your question from google so others searching for a similar
answer will not be able to find it?

Bergamot

Ken said:
I am trying to devise a way to mask the first page a person goes to on
my website.

So you've decided on a solution before you've even stated what the
actual problem is. That's usually a bad way to go about things.
I sell piece of software. The easiest way for me to
arrange the sale is to use PayPal who then will route the purchaser to
a target HTML page on my website. But, if the buyer knows which page
they are going to, they can pass that page around and others can
pirate the program.

OK, so the real problem is restricting access to the download. You don't
want to give it to the buyer until they've paid, and you don't want it
publicly available.
The address (entry page) used by PayPal does not change, so I would
like to relay purchasers from the entry page in a way they can't know
the address of the entry page.

You should use PayPal IPN and email the buyer a temporary link that's
generated server-side. If the link is set to expire, it won't do much
good to pass it around to their friends.
I'm not a very sophisticated HTML person. I depend pretty much on
HTML page creator programs.

Sorry to disappoint, but you can't do this with just HTML. There are
ready-made scripts out there if you look around. One is LinkLok. It's
not free, but it is inexpensive and works as advertised.
http://www.vibralogix.com