Is there a way to merge two XML files via Python?

This is more a theory exercise and something I'm trying to figure out,
and this is NOT a homework assignment...

I'm trying to make a tool I use at work more efficient :)

So this is at test tool that generates an XML file as it's output that
is eventually used by a web service to display test results and system
information.

The problem is that the testing is broken down into to different runs:
Functional and Automated where the Functional tests are all manual,
then the automated tests are run separately, usually overnight.

Each of those test runs generates essentially an identical XML file.
What I want to learn is a way to merge them.

In abstract terms, the idea is essentially to diff the two files
creating a patch and then use that patch to merge the two files into a
single XML file.

SO what I was hoping I could get pointers on from those of you who are
experienced in using Python with XML is what python libraries or means
are there for working with XML files specifically, and how easy or
difficult would this be?

I'm also doing research on my own in my spare time on this, but I also
wanted to ask here to get the opinion of developers who are more
experienced in working with XML than I am.

Thanks

Jeff