Is there a way to monitor howm many times an external link is clicked?

xyZed

I can see my logs, which show me how many times a page has been
requested, but how do you monitor how many times a link (to an
external site) has been clicked?

William Tasso

xyZed said:
I can see my logs, which show me how many times a page has been
requested, but how do you monitor how many times a link (to an
external site) has been clicked?

the link should point to a script on your own site with adds to the count
(database perhaps) and redirects to the target.

David Mackenzie

I can see my logs, which show me how many times a page has been
requested, but how do you monitor how many times a link (to an
external site) has been clicked?

You could ask the webmaster of the external site if he'd be willing to
share with you how many times your site has shown up in his referrer
logs.

xyZed

There is circumstantial evidence that on Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:22:39

Thanks for the links Bruce. After spending half an hour looking at the
PHP ones, I've got a headache. There's so many and some are free where
others cost money. I don't mind paying a small amount if one is
superior but it's hard to know which is best.
Does anyone know of a PHP click tracker that they can recommend
please? I just want to track clicks and get decent stats broken down
into days, weeks months.#

Oh and the links need to be spider friendly

Cheers

xyZed

There is circumstantial evidence that on Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:14:38
› You could ask the webmaster of the external site if he'd be willing to
› share with you how many times your site has shown up in his referrer
› logs.

It's so I can get my own figures and maybe charge them more for
advertising :)

Toby A Inkster

xyZed said:
It's so I can get my own figures and maybe charge them more for
advertising :)

The place where I work gets roughly 20,000 hits per day (despite the main
website being, shall we say, less than optimal) from about 1,000 unique
visitors.

The way we tend to set advertising rates is:

- pick a random price out of the air;
- if people are clamouring to buy advertising, then adjust upwards;
- if noone wants to advertise, lower prices.

This seems to work quite well and requires no technical wizardry.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?brucie?=

The place where I work gets roughly 20,000 hits per day

you've got a little booth in the middle of the freeway to wash
motorists windscreens?