Is there a way to remove Application Services from the config?

karlid

hi,

For some reason one of my sites is throwing an ugly error message when
I deploy it to a remote server.

The error looks like this: "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL
Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data
path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the
computer. The connection will be closed. "

Locally, it runs great but when I deploy it to a production server
running SQL 2005 Standard it dies.

I'm assuming that it works locally because SQL Express can initialize
when the site first loads. However, when I run it on the remote
server the identity of the Applcation Pool doesn't have sufficient
permissions or is misconfigured to run SQL Express so it throws this
error.

If we run SQL Express Studio then the site runs but as soon as we
restart the application after closing Express it dies again. Clearly
it's related.

After looking into the web.config I see the LocalSQLServer connection
string. We tried to remove it but that generated a 'provider'
error.

I've done some research and have found ways to use SQL Server Standard
by creating an Application Services db on the remote server but that's
not what I want to do.

This site uses nothing from Application Services so ideally it just
doesn't require any database at all.

How can I configure the site to ignore the dependency on SQL Express?

Any help is much appreciated.

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

I'm not sure what your dependency on express is and how it is related to the
config file. Aren't you simply querying data from a back end store?

--

Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]