    The dumbest way is to go through each manpage manually. But I'd like
    to know if there is a command to automatically search which manpage
    has the word "__END__".

    Peng Yu, Jun 10, 2010

  2. Peng Yu wrote:
    > Suppose I'm looking for the explanation of __END__, but I'm not sure
    > which man page I should look at. perldoc __END__ returns the following
    > error.
    >
    > No documentation found for "__END__".
    >
    > The dumbest way is to go through each manpage manually. But I'd like
    > to know if there is a command to automatically search which manpage
    > has the word "__END__".

    It is documented in perldata. I'm not really sure why, that doesn't
    strike me as the most logical place. I know this because several years
    ago I asked about it here and someone told me.

    Sorry, I can't answer your real question.

    Xho

    Xho Jingleheimerschmidt, Jun 10, 2010

  3. Peng Yu

    C.DeRykus Guest

    On Jun 10, 5:11 am, Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    > Quoth Peng Yu <>:
    >
    > > Suppose I'm looking for the explanation of __END__, but I'm not sure
    > > which man page I should look at. perldoc __END__ returns the following
    > > error.

    > > No documentation found for "__END__".

    > > The dumbest way is to go through each manpage manually. But I'd like
    > > to know if there is a command to automatically search which manpage
    > > has the word "__END__".

    > There is an index facility in POD, and recent versions of the docs have
    > index entries in all the proper places. I cannot, however, see any way
    > of looking up something in that index. The nearest switch I can see for
    > perldoc would be
    >
    >     perldoc -X __END__
    >
    > which just says
    >
    >     No documentation found for "__END__".
    >
    > Does anyone know how to make this do something useful?

    Evidently, the development stalled at some point.
    -X expects a pod.idx to be in $Config{arch}/pod
    and the thread below establishes that file isn't
    generated by Pod::Index as you'd expect. However,
    Pod::Index author Ivan Tubert-Brohman mentions
    adding -k keyword search patch for Pod::perldoc.
    The patch never got added but the needed pieces
    may still be available. See thread:

    http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.pod-people/2008/10/msg1350.html

    --
    Charles DeRykus