    page. It seems to me there must be a better way of doing this so the user
    flows down the page properly.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Greg Smith, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Greg,

    SmartNavigation will enable your page to remain in place between postbacks,
    but I wouldn't recommend that as the best way. Instead, I would implement
    your enabling/disabling of the button via client-side script so that there
    is not postback.

    Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    Microsoft Product Support Services
    ASP.NET Developer Support

    This post is provided "as-is" and confers no rights.

    --------------------
    >From: "Greg Smith" <>
    >Subject: Is there a way .....
    >Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:16:45 -0600
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
    phx.gbl

    >Maybe I should say "what is the best way" to do this.
    >
    >I have a web app that I am writing that is a questionnaire. I have the
    >"Submit" button disabled until all of the questions are answered. I have
    >AutoPostBack set to true on the combo boxes I am using to get the

    >I do a validity check whenever a combo box is changed. This works just

    fine

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Dec 30, 2003

  3. Greg Smith

    Greg Smith Guest

    Thanks for your help Jim. I am going to have to do some reading in order to
    write a client side script, I'm still pretty new to the web side.. I tried
    the SmartNavigation thing and had no luck. I set the property and double
    checked the it was set in the @Page statement but it still behaves the same.
    Is there something else that I need to do?

    "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Greg,
    >
    > SmartNavigation will enable your page to remain in place between

    postbacks,
    > but I wouldn't recommend that as the best way. Instead, I would implement
    > your enabling/disabling of the button via client-side script so that there
    > is not postback.
    >
    > Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    > Microsoft Product Support Services
    > ASP.NET Developer Support
    >
    > This post is provided "as-is" and confers no rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    > >From: "Greg Smith" <>
    > >Subject: Is there a way .....
    > >Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:16:45 -0600
    > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

    cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp13.

    Greg Smith, Dec 31, 2003
  4. smartnavigation works for IE even though it has a few issues with it you
    shouldnt have much a problem using it. I love smartNavigation, mostly
    because it does all the work of retrieving and reloading your page via an
    invisible iframe and your page should not even flicker during postback. Very
    clever of MS ;)
    As an alternative and a cross browser solution you might want to try and
    read this article :
    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/Tutorial/6292ABC5-A1BC-48A6-AE96-530E6AF9052D.dcik

    Alessandro Zifiglio, Dec 31, 2003
  5. Greg,

    That should do it. However, I really wouldn't spin any wheels on it.
    Instead, I would definitely pursue a client-side solution. It will be a
    much better experience.

    Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    Microsoft Developer Support
    ASP.NET

    --------------------
    >From: "Greg Smith" <>

    <>

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Dec 31, 2003
  6. Good point, Alessandro. If you are using a browser other than Internet
    Explorer, SmartNav isn't going to work.

    Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    Microsoft Developer Support
    ASP.NET

    --------------------
    >From: "Alessandro Zifiglio" <>
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

    <>
    <>
    >Subject: Re: Is there a way .....
    >Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:07:05 +0100

    19:12:34 MET)

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Dec 31, 2003
  7. Greg Smith

    Greg Smith Guest

    > That should do it. However, I really wouldn't spin any wheels on it.
    > Instead, I would definitely pursue a client-side solution. It will be a
    > much better experience.

    Hum...... guess I have some reading to do. I seem to be struggling with
    referencing the properties of an object on the web page.

    Can you recommend any good books?
    Greg Smith, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Greg,

    I personally like O'Reilly's Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference, but
    it's a little dated. MS Press has a good book on IE development as well.

    Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    Microsoft Developer Support
    ASP.NET

    >From: "Greg Smith" <>