Is there a way .....

Greg Smith

Maybe I should say "what is the best way" to do this.

I have a web app that I am writing that is a questionnaire. I have the
"Submit" button disabled until all of the questions are answered. I have
AutoPostBack set to true on the combo boxes I am using to get the responses.
I do a validity check whenever a combo box is changed. This works just fine
until the page gets large and the post back sends you to the top of the
page. It seems to me there must be a better way of doing this so the user
flows down the page properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Greg,

SmartNavigation will enable your page to remain in place between postbacks,
but I wouldn't recommend that as the best way. Instead, I would implement
your enabling/disabling of the button via client-side script so that there
is not postback.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Microsoft Product Support Services
ASP.NET Developer Support

This post is provided "as-is" and confers no rights.

--------------------

Greg Smith

Thanks for your help Jim. I am going to have to do some reading in order to
write a client side script, I'm still pretty new to the web side.. I tried
the SmartNavigation thing and had no luck. I set the property and double
checked the it was set in the @Page statement but it still behaves the same.
Is there something else that I need to do?

From: "Greg Smith" <[email protected]>
Subject: Is there a way .....
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:16:45 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

Maybe I should say "what is the best way" to do this.

I have a web app that I am writing that is a questionnaire. I have the
"Submit" button disabled until all of the questions are answered. I have
AutoPostBack set to true on the combo boxes I am using to get the responses.
I do a validity check whenever a combo box is changed. This works just fine
until the page gets large and the post back sends you to the top of the
page. It seems to me there must be a better way of doing this so the user
flows down the page properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Alessandro Zifiglio

smartnavigation works for IE even though it has a few issues with it you
shouldnt have much a problem using it. I love smartNavigation, mostly
because it does all the work of retrieving and reloading your page via an
invisible iframe and your page should not even flicker during postback. Very
clever of MS ;)
As an alternative and a cross browser solution you might want to try and
read this article :
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/Tutorial/6292ABC5-A1BC-48A6-AE96-530E6AF9052D.dcik

From: "Greg Smith" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:16:45 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Greg,

That should do it. However, I really wouldn't spin any wheels on it.
Instead, I would definitely pursue a client-side solution. It will be a
much better experience.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Microsoft Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

From: "Greg Smith" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:16:45 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Good point, Alessandro. If you are using a browser other than Internet
Explorer, SmartNav isn't going to work.

From: "Alessandro Zifiglio" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

From: "Greg Smith" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:16:45 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols

Greg Smith

That should do it. However, I really wouldn't spin any wheels on it.
Instead, I would definitely pursue a client-side solution. It will be a
much better experience.

Hum...... guess I have some reading to do. I seem to be struggling with
referencing the properties of an object on the web page.

Can you recommend any good books?

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Greg,

I personally like O'Reilly's Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference, but
it's a little dated. MS Press has a good book on IE development as well.

From: "Greg Smith" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>