Is there an equivalent (freeware) for Intellij IDEA IDE ?

Multicoder4002

Hi all.
I would like to know if anyone of you would know if an equivalent of
Intellij IDEA in a freeware version ?
Thank you.

Collin VanDyck

A lot of people use Eclipse, which is a free open source Java IDE.

eclipse.org

Jon A. Cruz

Collin said:
A lot of people use Eclipse, which is a free open source Java IDE.

eclipse.org

A few guys at work had done a comparrison this fall. With Eclipse 2.1,
things were fairly close. The new refactoring tools helped a lot.

IIRC, IDEA comes with more J2EE support out of the box, while Eclipse
seems to need add-ons or websphere. The rest, however, is probably very
sufficient for most needs.

Collin VanDyck

A few guys at work had done a comparrison this fall. With Eclipse 2.1,
things were fairly close. The new refactoring tools helped a lot.

IIRC, IDEA comes with more J2EE support out of the box, while Eclipse
seems to need add-ons or websphere. The rest, however, is probably very
sufficient for most needs.

I was looking at the IDEA marketing pages this weekend, and it looks like it
would be a great tool for J2EE. I know that I've been frustrated a couple
of times getting my J2EE-related workflow within Eclipse streamlined. I
like how cheap it is too :)