Is there an 'offical' Ruby binary for Windows?

Roger Pack

What's the official Ruby for Windows binary?
Why don't they join and save time and effort?

Don't forget the mingw installer:
http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/26/still-playing-with-ruby-on-windows

I think the closest thing to official is the VC 6 one click installer.
The reason there is really no official build is that the core
maintainers don't use windows so...there isn't as much effort put into
it. It has to come from others and few step up to make it happen.

-=r

Luis Lavena

I know that there are at least three Ruby Windows distributions.
 1. One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows --http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl
 2. Ruby-mswin32 --http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/
 3. Ruby MS-Win32 Installer Packages --http://arton.no-ip.info/data/asr/

What's the official Ruby for Windows binary?

One-Click Installer is based on ruby-mswin32 (garbagecollect) builds.
OCI fill the gaps and include the missing binaries. All build with
obsolete VC6.

Except for the filenames, I cannot understand anything of Ruby MS-
Win32 page or package installation instructions.

One-Click Installer is moving away from VC6 build.
Why don't they join and save time and effort?

Dunno why:

- Tried to contact Ruby-mswin32 maintainer 4 years ago to fix the
"missing dependencies" on the build, never got an answer.
- I have no contact information from the third distro
- I'm the maintainer of One-Click Installer, and I'm open to
suggestions that make Windows user life more easy. Right now going
MinGW path has proven to be a good bet.

Windows users don't understand the concept and power of "community",
they often play alone, like cowboys did in the western movies.

Check rubyinstaller on GitHub, lot of folks keep an eye on it, and a
few ones contribute back.

Lot of users report bugs and download One-Click Installer, but a few
ones step up and contribute back.

Last time I checked, my breath was good, so that's not a reason not to
join efforts. ;-)

Luis Lavena

I know that there are at least three Ruby Windows distributions.
 1. One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows --http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl
 2. Ruby-mswin32 --http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/
 3. Ruby MS-Win32 Installer Packages --http://arton.no-ip.info/data/asr/

Forgot to mention that there is no detail on the build process or
build scripts used to create package for 2 and 3. So there is no way
to contribute with updated recipes or to alleviate the load over the
maintainers.

One-Click Installer have all that in both the Subversion repository at
RubyForge and the new one at GitHub.

Patrick Ro

Luis said:
Dunno why:

- Tried to contact Ruby-mswin32 maintainer 4 years ago to fix the
"missing dependencies" on the build, never got an answer.
- I have no contact information from the third distro
- I'm the maintainer of One-Click Installer, and I'm open to
suggestions that make Windows user life more easy. Right now going
MinGW path has proven to be a good bet.

Windows users don't understand the concept and power of "community",
they often play alone, like cowboys did in the western movies.

Check rubyinstaller on GitHub, lot of folks keep an eye on it, and a
few ones contribute back.

Lot of users report bugs and download One-Click Installer, but a few
ones step up and contribute back.

Last time I checked, my breath was good, so that's not a reason not to
join efforts. ;-)

I have been building Ruby for MinGW, succesfully. I was unable to find a
mysql lib for mingw that allowd me to compile mysql, and after hours of
fox-1.6 compiling, the fxruby gem comes up with a "Procedure not found"
in the fox16.so etc.

I have checked your RubyInstaller git repository, and love how it is
setup with all the Rake tasks etc.

I would love to contribute towards the new v1.9.1 RI project, but how do
I get involved, and how would I fetch your development tree for 1.9.1?

Nobuyoshi Nakada

Hi,

At Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:14:01 +0900,
Heesob Park wrote in [ruby-talk:326680]:
What's the official Ruby for Windows binary?

No 'official' binary on any platforms.

Luis Lavena

I have been building Ruby for MinGW, succesfully. I was unable to find a
mysql lib for mingw that allowd me to compile mysql, and after hours of
fox-1.6 compiling, the fxruby gem comes up with a "Procedure not found"
in the fox16.so etc.

gem install luislavena-mysql-gem --source http://gems.github.com -- --
with-mysql-dir="C:/path/to/your/mysql/that/have/include/and/lib"
I have checked your RubyInstaller git repository, and love how it is
setup with all the Rake tasks etc.

It has some places that needs enhancements.
I would love to contribute towards the new v1.9.1 RI project, but how do
I get involved, and how would I fetch your development tree for 1.9.1?

My fault, I'm too perfectionist of my code that release early, release
often doesn't work for this (I'll get lot of bug reports than being
productive with it).

This fork builds 1.9.1, and as extra: Shoes!

http://github.com/ender672/rubyinstaller/tree/master

Here is more info:

http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/01/31/wear-some-shoes-in-ruby-191-on-windows/

I'll do an announcement about the new recipes in my blog this weekend.

Heesob Park

Hi,

2009/2/4 Nobuyoshi Nakada said:
Hi,

At Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:14:01 +0900,
Heesob Park wrote in [ruby-talk:326680]:
What's the official Ruby for Windows binary?

No 'official' binary on any platforms.
You are right.

As I know, There is no 'official' reference manual of Ruby also.
I happen to know "Ruby Reference Manual reform plan" by okkez members[1]
Is there any chance of translating it into English?

[1] http://doc.loveruby.net/refm/api/view/index

Regards,

Park Heesob

Luis Lavena

Hi,

At Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:54:39 +0900,
Luis Lavena wrote in [ruby-talk:326792]:
I believe the 'official' stamp refers to the advertisement of the
package in Ruby website[1]

I agree that OCI would be the most popular, and de-facto package.

BTW, I found the link to 1.9.1 binary is pretty outdated.
To whom should I report about this?

I believe there is a project in redmine for website content?

http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/projects/show/9