Is there an 'offical' Ruby binary for Windows?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Heesob Park, Feb 3, 2009.

  1. Heesob Park

    Heesob Park Guest

    Heesob Park, Feb 3, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Heesob Park

    Roger Pack Guest


    > What's the official Ruby for Windows binary?
    > Why don't they join and save time and effort?


    Don't forget the mingw installer:
    http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/26/still-playing-with-ruby-on-windows

    I think the closest thing to official is the VC 6 one click installer.
    The reason there is really no official build is that the core
    maintainers don't use windows so...there isn't as much effort put into
    it. It has to come from others and few step up to make it happen.

    -=r
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Roger Pack, Feb 3, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Heesob Park

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Feb 3, 12:14 am, Heesob Park <> wrote:
    > I know that there are at least three Ruby Windows distributions.
    >  1. One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows --http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl
    >  2. Ruby-mswin32 --http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/
    >  3. Ruby MS-Win32 Installer Packages --http://arton.no-ip.info/data/asr/
    >
    > What's the official Ruby for Windows binary?


    One-Click Installer is based on ruby-mswin32 (garbagecollect) builds.
    OCI fill the gaps and include the missing binaries. All build with
    obsolete VC6.

    Except for the filenames, I cannot understand anything of Ruby MS-
    Win32 page or package installation instructions.

    One-Click Installer is moving away from VC6 build.

    > Why don't they join and save time and effort?


    Dunno why:

    - Tried to contact Ruby-mswin32 maintainer 4 years ago to fix the
    "missing dependencies" on the build, never got an answer.
    - I have no contact information from the third distro
    - I'm the maintainer of One-Click Installer, and I'm open to
    suggestions that make Windows user life more easy. Right now going
    MinGW path has proven to be a good bet.

    Windows users don't understand the concept and power of "community",
    they often play alone, like cowboys did in the western movies.

    Check rubyinstaller on GitHub, lot of folks keep an eye on it, and a
    few ones contribute back.

    Lot of users report bugs and download One-Click Installer, but a few
    ones step up and contribute back.

    Last time I checked, my breath was good, so that's not a reason not to
    join efforts. ;-)

    --
    Luis Lavena
    Luis Lavena, Feb 3, 2009
    #3
  4. Heesob Park

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Feb 3, 12:14 am, Heesob Park <> wrote:
    > I know that there are at least three Ruby Windows distributions.
    >  1. One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows --http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl
    >  2. Ruby-mswin32 --http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/
    >  3. Ruby MS-Win32 Installer Packages --http://arton.no-ip.info/data/asr/
    >


    Forgot to mention that there is no detail on the build process or
    build scripts used to create package for 2 and 3. So there is no way
    to contribute with updated recipes or to alleviate the load over the
    maintainers.

    One-Click Installer have all that in both the Subversion repository at
    RubyForge and the new one at GitHub.

    --
    Luis Lavena
    Luis Lavena, Feb 3, 2009
    #4
  5. Heesob Park

    Patrick Ro Guest

    Luis Lavena wrote:
    >
    > Dunno why:
    >
    > - Tried to contact Ruby-mswin32 maintainer 4 years ago to fix the
    > "missing dependencies" on the build, never got an answer.
    > - I have no contact information from the third distro
    > - I'm the maintainer of One-Click Installer, and I'm open to
    > suggestions that make Windows user life more easy. Right now going
    > MinGW path has proven to be a good bet.
    >
    > Windows users don't understand the concept and power of "community",
    > they often play alone, like cowboys did in the western movies.
    >
    > Check rubyinstaller on GitHub, lot of folks keep an eye on it, and a
    > few ones contribute back.
    >
    > Lot of users report bugs and download One-Click Installer, but a few
    > ones step up and contribute back.
    >
    > Last time I checked, my breath was good, so that's not a reason not to
    > join efforts. ;-)


    I have been building Ruby for MinGW, succesfully. I was unable to find a
    mysql lib for mingw that allowd me to compile mysql, and after hours of
    fox-1.6 compiling, the fxruby gem comes up with a "Procedure not found"
    in the fox16.so etc.

    I have checked your RubyInstaller git repository, and love how it is
    setup with all the Rake tasks etc.

    I would love to contribute towards the new v1.9.1 RI project, but how do
    I get involved, and how would I fetch your development tree for 1.9.1?
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Patrick Ro, Feb 3, 2009
    #5
  6. Hi,

    At Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:14:01 +0900,
    Heesob Park wrote in [ruby-talk:326680]:
    > What's the official Ruby for Windows binary?


    No 'official' binary on any platforms.

    --
    Nobu Nakada
    Nobuyoshi Nakada, Feb 3, 2009
    #6
  7. Heesob Park

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Feb 3, 1:45 pm, Patrick Ro <> wrote:
    > Luis Lavena wrote:
    >
    > > Dunno why:

    >
    > > - Tried to contact Ruby-mswin32 maintainer 4 years ago to fix the
    > > "missing dependencies" on the build, never got an answer.
    > > - I have no contact information from the third distro
    > > - I'm the maintainer of One-Click Installer, and I'm open to
    > > suggestions that make Windows user life more easy. Right now going
    > > MinGW path has proven to be a good bet.

    >
    > > Windows users don't understand the concept and power of "community",
    > > they often play alone, like cowboys did in the western movies.

    >
    > > Check rubyinstaller on GitHub, lot of folks keep an eye on it, and a
    > > few ones contribute back.

    >
    > > Lot of users report bugs and download One-Click Installer, but a few
    > > ones step up and contribute back.

    >
    > > Last time I checked, my breath was good, so that's not a reason not to
    > > join efforts. ;-)

    >
    > I have been building Ruby for MinGW, succesfully. I was unable to find a
    > mysql lib for mingw that allowd me to compile mysql, and after hours of
    > fox-1.6 compiling, the fxruby gem comes up with a "Procedure not found"
    > in the fox16.so etc.
    >


    gem install luislavena-mysql-gem --source http://gems.github.com -- --
    with-mysql-dir="C:/path/to/your/mysql/that/have/include/and/lib"

    > I have checked your RubyInstaller git repository, and love how it is
    > setup with all the Rake tasks etc.
    >


    It has some places that needs enhancements.

    > I would love to contribute towards the new v1.9.1 RI project, but how do
    > I get involved, and how would I fetch your development tree for 1.9.1?


    My fault, I'm too perfectionist of my code that release early, release
    often doesn't work for this (I'll get lot of bug reports than being
    productive with it).

    This fork builds 1.9.1, and as extra: Shoes!

    http://github.com/ender672/rubyinstaller/tree/master

    Here is more info:

    http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/01/31/wear-some-shoes-in-ruby-191-on-windows/

    I'll do an announcement about the new recipes in my blog this weekend.

    --
    Luis Lavena
    Luis Lavena, Feb 3, 2009
    #7
  8. Heesob Park

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Feb 3, 1:54 pm, Nobuyoshi Nakada <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > At Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:14:01 +0900,
    > Heesob Park wrote in [ruby-talk:326680]:
    >
    > > What's the official Ruby for Windows binary?

    >
    > No 'official' binary on any platforms.
    >


    I believe the 'official' stamp refers to the advertisement of the
    package in Ruby website[1]

    [1] http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

    --
    Luis Lavena
    Luis Lavena, Feb 3, 2009
    #8
  9. Heesob Park

    Heesob Park Guest

    Hi,

    2009/2/4 Nobuyoshi Nakada <>:
    > Hi,
    >
    > At Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:14:01 +0900,
    > Heesob Park wrote in [ruby-talk:326680]:
    >> What's the official Ruby for Windows binary?

    >
    > No 'official' binary on any platforms.
    >

    You are right.

    As I know, There is no 'official' reference manual of Ruby also.
    I happen to know "Ruby Reference Manual reform plan" by okkez members[1]
    Is there any chance of translating it into English?

    [1] http://doc.loveruby.net/refm/api/view/index

    Regards,

    Park Heesob
    Heesob Park, Feb 4, 2009
    #9
  10. Hi,

    At Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:54:39 +0900,
    Luis Lavena wrote in [ruby-talk:326792]:
    > I believe the 'official' stamp refers to the advertisement of the
    > package in Ruby website[1]


    I agree that OCI would be the most popular, and de-facto package.

    > [1] http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/


    BTW, I found the link to 1.9.1 binary is pretty outdated.
    To whom should I report about this?

    --
    Nobu Nakada
    Nobuyoshi Nakada, Feb 4, 2009
    #10
  11. Heesob Park

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Feb 4, 9:03 am, Nobuyoshi Nakada <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > At Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:54:39 +0900,
    > Luis Lavena wrote in [ruby-talk:326792]:
    >
    > > I believe the 'official' stamp refers to the advertisement of the
    > > package in Ruby website[1]

    >
    > I agree that OCI would be the most popular, and de-facto package.
    >
    > > [1]http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

    >
    > BTW, I found the link to 1.9.1 binary is pretty outdated.
    > To whom should I report about this?
    >


    I believe there is a project in redmine for website content?

    http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/projects/show/9

    --
    Luis Lavena
    Luis Lavena, Feb 4, 2009
    #11
  12. Heesob Park

    Patrick Ro Guest

    Luis Lavena wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 1:45�pm, Patrick Ro <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > join efforts. ;-)

    Cheers for the info, you might be hearing from me soon! :)
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    Patrick Ro, Feb 4, 2009
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Fangs
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    9,782
    darshana
    Oct 26, 2008
  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

    Beta to offical

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Oct 27, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    648
  3. Oracle3001
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    736
    Oracle3001
    Oct 3, 2003
  4. Marc Schellens
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    3,006
    John Harrison
    Jul 15, 2003
  5. Replies:
    12
    Views:
    577
    Richard Heathfield
    Apr 8, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page