Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using sets over list compsto ensure a list of unique entri

deathweaselx86

Howdy guys, I am new.

I've been converting lists to sets, then back to lists again to get
unique lists.
e.g

Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jan 20 2010, 21:48:48)
foo = ['1','2','3']
bar = ['2','5']
foo.extend(bar)
foo = list(set(foo))
foo
['1', '3', '2', '5']

I used to use list comps to do this instead.
foo = ['1','2','3']
bar = ['2','5']
foo.extend([a for a in bar if a not in foo])
foo
['1', '2', '3', '5']

A very long time ago, we all used dictionaries, but I'm not interested
in that ever again. ;-)
Is there any performance hit to using one of these methods over the
other for rather large lists?

Ian Kelly

[...]

Yes. In the second approach, "if a not in foo" is O(n) if foo is a
list, and since you're doing it m times, that's O(n * m).

The first approach is merely O(n + m).

Steven D'Aprano

Howdy guys, I am new.

I've been converting lists to sets, then back to lists again to get
unique lists.
e.g

Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jan 20 2010, 21:48:48) [GCC 4.2.4 (Ubuntu
4.2.4-1ubuntu3)] on linux2 Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or
"license" for more information.
foo = ['1','2','3']
bar = ['2','5']
foo.extend(bar)
foo = list(set(foo))
foo
['1', '3', '2', '5']

I used to use list comps to do this instead.
foo = ['1','2','3']
bar = ['2','5']
foo.extend([a for a in bar if a not in foo]) foo
['1', '2', '3', '5']

A very long time ago, we all used dictionaries, but I'm not interested
in that ever again. ;-)
Is there any performance hit to using one of these methods over the
other for rather large lists?

Absolutely!

Membership testing in lists is O(N), that is, it gets slower as the
number of items in the list increases. So if list foo above is huge, "a
not in foo" may take time proportional to how huge it is.

For sets, membership testing is (roughly) O(1), that it, it takes
(roughly) constant time no matter how big the set is. There are special
cases where this does not hold, but you have to work hard to find one, so
in general you can assume that any lookup in a dict or set will take the
same amount of time.

However, the cost of that extra power is that sets are limited to
hashable objects (e.g. ints, strings, but not lists, etc.), they can't
contain duplicates, and they are unordered. If you care about the order
of the list, it is better to do something like this:

# pseudo-code
target = ['1', '3', '2', '7', '5', '9']
source = ['6', '2', '1', '0']
# add unique items of source to target, keeping the order
tmp = sorted(target)
for item in source:
flag = binary search for item in tmp
if not flag:
insert item in tmp keeping the list sorted
append item to the end of target
del tmp

The bisect module will be useful here.

For small lists, it really doesn't matter what you do. This probably only
matters beyond a few tens of thousands of items.

Ethan Furman

Steven said:
I've been converting lists to sets, then back to lists again to get
unique lists.

I used to use list comps to do this instead.
foo = ['1','2','3']
bar = ['2','5']
foo.extend([a for a in bar if a not in foo]) foo
['1', '2', '3', '5']

Is there any performance hit to using one of these methods over the
other for rather large lists?

Absolutely!

For small lists, it really doesn't matter what you do. This probably only
matters beyond a few tens of thousands of items.

Depends on the complexity of the object. It only took a couple thousand
dbf records to notice a *huge* slowdown using 'in' tests on regular lists.

~Ethan~

rusi

Howdy guys, I am new.

I've been converting lists to sets, then back to lists again to get
unique lists.

Maybe you should consider whether its best to work with sets only and
not use lists at all.
This needs to be said because:
1. Most intros to python show lists (and tuples which is almost the
same) and hardly mention sets
2. Until recent versions python did not have sets

The basic question to ask yourself is: Is order/repetition
significant?
If not you want a set.

Raymond Hettinger

Howdy guys, I am new.

I've been converting lists to sets, then back to lists again to get
unique lists.
e.g

Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jan 20 2010, 21:48:48)
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.>>>foo = ['1','2','3']
bar = ['2','5']
foo.extend(bar)
foo = list(set(foo))

That works great and is very clear.

If you want to also preserve order, use an OrderedDict:

Raymond