Is there any IDE for perl?

mobile.parmenides

Hi,

My experience concerning the c programming tell me an IED is very
important for coding and debugging. Is there perl counterpart?

RedGrittyBrick

Hi,

My experience concerning the c programming tell me an IED is very
important for coding and debugging.

I'd not use an Improvised Explosive Device for coding and debugging but
YMMV.
Is there perl counterpart?

Have you tried `perlfaq -q ide`

Rui Maciel

My experience concerning the c programming tell me an IED is very
important for coding and debugging. Is there perl counterpart?

As an IDE (short for integrated development environment) is nothing more than a text editor, compiler, build system and debugger bundled in a neat package, why exactly does your experience tells you that you need a package intentionally labeled as an "IDE" to be able to write any code?

Rui Maciel

George

Hi,

My experience concerning the c programming tell me an IED is very
important for coding and debugging. Is there perl counterpart?

There's komodo from the activestate people. It costs some money and is
likely a very effective tool for persons who can afford it.

Activestate also has a free perl install for windows that has the
all-important package manager. You have to take steps to customize it, and
there's no ide. With an interpreted syntax like perl, I actually prefer
the command line to the ide. It's not like my projects are large.

If there's one thing I miss now that I'm relegated to relying on the free
distros, it's a visual debugger like I had back when I used M$.
--
George

The thing that's wrong with the French is that they don't have a word for
entrepreneur.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

sln

There's komodo from the activestate people. It costs some money and is
likely a very effective tool for persons who can afford it.

Activestate also has a free perl install for windows that has the
all-important package manager. You have to take steps to customize it, and
there's no ide. With an interpreted syntax like perl, I actually prefer
the command line to the ide. It's not like my projects are large.

If there's one thing I miss now that I'm relegated to relying on the free
distros, it's a visual debugger like I had back when I used M$.
And intellisence.

Alex

George said:
There's komodo from the activestate people. It costs some money and is
likely a very effective tool for persons who can afford it.

If you don't *need* the letters "IDE" in the name, you can also try out
the editor "Komodo Edit", which is pretty good, IMHO, and which you can
download for free. Of course, you can try out the trial version of
"Komodo IDE", which has some extra features, which you may like.

Alex

yairl

Hi,

   My experience concerning the c programming tell me an IED is very
important for coding and debugging. Is there perl counterpart?

I ussually use emacs with perl mode but in the last years for big
projects i started to use an IDE. I use eclipse with the perl plug ,
it's very good for me. It helps to find quickly objects,
function ,variables into 20 or 30 different files and this was reason
i needed to change the emacs. For small changes i still use emacs, but
when we must make big changes no way , i can't see what happen in
others objects or methods without eclipse. The problem is how to see
the different project's parts in different files working together and
thus avoid bugs....
Untill now there isn't any good emacs module it can do this work .

Peter Wyzl

Hi,

My experience concerning the c programming tell me an IED is very
important for coding and debugging. Is there perl counterpart?

Perlbuilder .. google is your friend...

Ryan McCoskrie

Hi,

My experience concerning the c programming tell me an IED is very
important for coding and debugging.

You'll find here that many people have experience contrary to yours.

I've never met an IDE that doesn't push me around
and tell me to work the way that I don't want to.

On a *Nix system (preferably Linux or BSD) open the perl
script in your favourite editor* and have a terminal emulator
at the ready to run the script.

If you have a bigger project going with lots of modules
keep the file manager open to the directory you are using.

This is the wisdom of the environment perl came from.
Each program reliably does one thing very well.
That thing it does is very definite (e.g. editing text) but is useful
under many circumstances.
It does each thing well because it does so with as few features as
possible.

On windows it's much the same but the editor isn't pre-installed
and you'll be working with the command prompt instead of
a real terminal program.

MacOS makes it a pain to find the terminal.

Enjoy not having all your design decisions being made by you and
not someone in a ivory tower.

*When I say editor I mean something like the text editing field in an
IDE (including colour coding and auto indentation) on its own.