    I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?

    Thanks a lot~

    news.hku.hk, Jan 21, 2004

  2. news.hku.hk

    news.hku.hk Guest

    sorry for multi-post, i just wanna get prompt reply ~

    news.hku.hk, Jan 21, 2004

  3. news.hku.hk wrote:
    > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot~

    I'll tell you how to do this if you'll tell me how to turn this
    hamburger back into a cow.

    -Kevin

    Kevin Goodsell, Jan 21, 2004
  4. news.hku.hk

    Jakob Guest

    It can't be done. Especially not if the code is optimized.

    Sorry...

    Jakob, Jan 21, 2004
  5. news.hku.hk

    Chris Theis Guest

    "Kevin Goodsell" <> wrote in message
    > news.hku.hk wrote:
    > > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    > > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot~
    > >

    > I'll tell you how to do this if you'll tell me how to turn this
    > hamburger back into a cow.
    >
    > -Kevin
    > --

    Isn't there MS Reverse-Engineer-Cow Version 1.0 that can load hamburgers ??
    :)

    Chris

    Chris Theis, Jan 21, 2004
  6. Jakob wrote:

    > It can't be done. Especially not if the code is optimized.
    >
    > Sorry...
    >
    > "news.hku.hk" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    >>(*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot~

    Jakob:
    1. Don't top-post.
    2. I do believe there are tools out there that will
    generate a C source file from an executable.

    Conversion from an executable image to a source file
    _is_ possible. There are no guarantees that the source
    file will be readable or (very unprobable) the original
    source file. As you said, optimization provides a
    a nice twist to the puzzle. Unique identifiers can
    be generated, such as "int_006".

    The OP should be aware that more than one source
    file can generate the same executable. Also the
    probability of successfully generating the original
    source file is very, very, remote. Being hit by
    an interstellar flaming comet is more probable.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Jan 21, 2004
  7. news.hku.hk

    Howard Guest

    "Chris Theis" <> wrote in message

    > "Kevin Goodsell" <> wrote in message
    > > news.hku.hk wrote:
    > > > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source

    file
    > > > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks a lot~
    > > >

    > > I'll tell you how to do this if you'll tell me how to turn this
    > > hamburger back into a cow.
    > >
    > > -Kevin
    > > --

    > Isn't there MS Reverse-Engineer-Cow Version 1.0 that can load hamburgers

    ??
    > :)
    >
    > Chris

    Yes, but it was recalled by the FDA due to a "minor flaw" in it that spread
    a virus known as BSE (Mad Cow Disease). It caused millions of tons of
    hamburger to turn into mad cows!

    -Howard

    Howard, Jan 21, 2004
  8. news.hku.hk

    Howard Guest

    > The OP should be aware that more than one source
    > file can generate the same executable. Also the
    > probability of successfully generating the original
    > source file is very, very, remote. Being hit by
    > an interstellar flaming comet is more probable.

    Boy, that IS a remote chance! Especially considering that comets are mostly
    ice, not balls of flame! :)

    -Howard

    Howard, Jan 21, 2004
  9. news.hku.hk

    Mike Smith Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > Yes, but it was recalled by the FDA due to a "minor flaw" in it that spread
    > a virus known as BSE (Mad Cow Disease). It caused millions of tons of
    > hamburger to turn into mad cows!

    I wonder how long it will be before the word "prion" is used to describe
    some kind of harmful software.

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Jan 21, 2004
  10. news.hku.hk

    Ron Natalie Guest

    "Mike Smith" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Howard wrote:
    >

    > > Yes, but it was recalled by the FDA due to a "minor flaw" in it that spread
    > > a virus known as BSE (Mad Cow Disease). It caused millions of tons of
    > > hamburger to turn into mad cows!

    > I wonder how long it will be before the word "prion" is used to describe
    > some kind of harmful software.

    I think it applies well to the .NET runtime environment.

    Ron Natalie, Jan 21, 2004