    I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?

    Thanks a lot~

    news.hku.hk, Jan 21, 2004

  2. news.hku.hk <> scribbled the following:
    > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?

    Such programs are known as decompilers, but they're not perfect. It is
    impossible for a decompiler to give you back the same source code as the
    original, because compiling is a lossy process. For example, all
    comments, formatting and usually all local variable names are lost. This
    is known as the "hamburger to cow" problem.

    "Bad things only happen to scoundrels."
    - Moominmamma

    Joona I Palaste, Jan 21, 2004

  3. news.hku.hk

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    "news.hku.hk" <> writes:

    > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?

    For me gdb usually does just fine at finding my source files, as
    long as I haven't moved or deleted them since I compiled.
    --
    "C has its problems, but a language designed from scratch would have some too,
    and we know C's problems."

    Ben Pfaff, Jan 21, 2004
  4. news.hku.hk

    Martijn Guest

    Joona I Palaste wrote:
    > news.hku.hk <> scribbled the following:
    >> I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source
    >> file (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?

    > Such programs are known as decompilers, but they're not perfect. It is
    > impossible for a decompiler to give you back the same source code as
    > the original, because compiling is a lossy process. For example, all
    > comments, formatting and usually all local variable names are lost.
    > This is known as the "hamburger to cow" problem.

    Not to forget about any optimizations that have been performed :)

    And if all symbols have been stripped (such as "local" functions being
    static), all gets even worse.

    Good luck,

    Martijn
    http://www.sereneconcepts.nl

    Martijn, Jan 21, 2004
  5. news.hku.hk wrote:
    > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?

    C++ questions are off-topic here, but I'll answer this anyway: No, there is
    not.
    If this is your own program, now is the time to learn to back up your
    sources. Otherwise, stop trying to steal other people's work.

    --
    Martin Ambuhl

    Martin Ambuhl, Jan 21, 2004
  6. [OT] Re: is there any powerful program that can.....

    Martin Ambuhl <> writes:

    > news.hku.hk wrote:
    > > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    > > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?

    > [...] Otherwise, stop trying to steal other people's work.

    Huh? There are perfectly valid reasons to reverse engineer a program.
    If they apply, reverse engineering is also legal in most countries.

    Martin

    Martin Dickopp, Jan 21, 2004
  7. news.hku.hk

    Randy Howard Guest

    In article <400e2afd$>, says...
    > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot~

    http://www.woodmann.com/crackz/Tools.htm

    The above link is probably not 100% legit (or even 50), but it has
    information on your question.

    This isn't the place for it.

    --
    Randy Howard
    2reply remove FOOBAR

    Randy Howard, Jan 21, 2004
  8. news.hku.hk

    Lew Pitcher Guest

    news.hku.hk wrote:
    > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
    > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?

    Certainly, but it's a subroutine of the Graphic Omnicient Device (or G.O.D. for
    short), and is only available for the Harlie OS.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

    Lew Pitcher, Jan 23, 2004