is there any site which can provide any help on advanced C topics

ashu

i m relatively new to this group. i just want to know, is there any
site which can provide any help on advanced C topics such as machine
interaction through C, memory management through C etc

Christopher Benson-Manica

ashu said:
i m relatively new to this group. i just want to know, is there any
site which can provide any help on advanced C topics such as machine
interaction through C, memory management through C etc

Memory management is not an advanced topic. If you can't handle
malloc() and free(), find another language.

D.Hering

Christopher said:
Memory management is not an advanced topic. If you can't handle
malloc() and free(), find another language.

There isn't need to beat-up on the guy... Is there.

David Resnick

Christopher said:
Memory management is not an advanced topic. If you can't handle
malloc() and free(), find another language.

Seems overly harsh. There can be interesting memory managment
issues such as reference counting, garbage collection, tools
for analyzing memory usage/corruption/etc, overriding/replacing
library *alloc/free, writing and using your own memory management
scheme, etc. Some of which are on topic here, some not.

As for the OP, I don't have any references handy, sorry.
But it is a perfectly fine question. For the machine interaction part,
you might ask in groups dedicated to your target platform(s) and
get some good pointers there. I don't think interaction with the
hardware via "C" is a generic/portable enough question to get useful

-David

lagosfernando

David:

I think you should start with some book of C programming. Something
like "Absolute Beginner's Guide to C" by Greg Perry. This will give you
the basic knowledge.

Hope this help.

David Resnick ha escrito:

David Resnick

David:

I think you should start with some book of C programming. Something
like "Absolute Beginner's Guide to C" by Greg Perry. This will give you
the basic knowledge.

Hope this help.

David Resnick ha escrito:

Please don't top post, and also I wasn't the person asking the
question.
While my knowledge of C is perhaps not complete, I think the
"Absolute Beginners Guide" isn't called for :)

-David

CBFalconer

David said:
.... snip ...

Please don't top post, and also I wasn't the person asking the
question. While my knowledge of C is perhaps not complete, I
think the "Absolute Beginners Guide" isn't called for :)

The millenium has arrived! Two googlers, both of whom quote, and
one who knows better than to top-post.

David Resnick

CBFalconer said:
The millenium has arrived! Two googlers, both of whom quote, and
one who knows better than to top-post.

I've been posting on usenet since 1989, so I'm not exactly the
normal "googler" who discovered this medium via google groups.
And I now just use google groups from work, I have better
access at home.

-David