Is there any "true" W3C standard browser?

Lau Lei Cheong

Hello,

Actually, I'm wondering if there's anything of the sort avaliable in
the wild - a developer oriented W3C browser. It's kinda W3C's online
validation service, just that it runs on locahost as an application. It
reads a config file to see what is allowed to pass, and what is depreciated,
and whether fails the deperciated one.

Basically, it'll only render what W3C recommandations and nothing
more. It'll not render any tag/properties it's doesn't know. The ignored
tags can be seen on seperate dialog/logfile. If there's missing/cross tags,
it'll just stop and scream in bright red color about what happened if a
related option such as "--no-mercy" is selected. I hope that it supports
options such as "--css2", "--html401", "--strict", "--transitional",
"--no-mercy", "--ignore-unknown-tag" etc so it can intergrates nicely with
the VS.NET IDE. And it'll be perfect if it can download latest schemas from
the W3C website.

Seems that I'm asking for too much, but just wondering if such
thing(or a close one) exist. It'll be quite handy.

Regards,
Lau Lei Cheong

Kevin Spencer

Yes, you are asking for a bit much. You're asking for your own customized
personal browser that behaves exactly as you have described. However, there
is a browser that can get you pretty close to what you have described:
FireFox. With the addition of certain FireFox extensions, you can validate
documents in the browser, view various properties, etc. The "DOM Inspector"
and "Web Developer" extensions are particularly useful. FireFox is a "pure"
Mozilla browser, and is the closest to the W3C recommendations of any
existing browser out there (that I know of). However, like most browsers, it
is not likely to misbehave as you've described when it encounters poor HTML.
It will tell you what is wrong with it, however.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
You can lead a fish to a bicycle,
but it takes a very long time,
and the bicycle has to *want* to change.

Lau Lei Cheong

Yes. I'm asking for "developer oriented browser".

Actually, all the features I've described is what features I imagine the
browser would best have, but basically, I just want a brower that will went
wrong when any of my code went wrong(that's what the "no-mercy" option is
for).

I've been suffered problem where the designer hand me HTML codes that has
something wrong in it, but I didn't make found it. Although IE and Firefox
are mercy enough to attempt to render the page correctly, some of the "other
browsers" don't, and my clients complains.

So I decide to seek for tools that'll tell me when the code wrong and warn
me about it.