  1. lofenee

    lofenee Guest

    Can I?

    lofenee, Jul 14, 2008

  2. Joost Diepenmaat, Jul 14, 2008

  3. lofenee

    Ben Morrow Guest

    [please include your question in the body of your post as well as the
    Subject. Some of us don't read Subjects.]

    Quoth "lofenee" <>:
    > Can I?

    [test a java(?) applet using Perl]

    You may be able to do this with WWW::Selenium, although as Sherm said
    it's probably better not to.

    Ben

    --
    The cosmos, at best, is like a rubbish heap scattered at random.
    Heraclitus

    Ben Morrow, Jul 14, 2008
  4. lofenee

    lofenee Guest

    > There's no way that I know of. Testing an applet would mean being able
    > to load a JVM, run the applet, and call its methods. Neither of the
    > web client modules I'm aware of (LWP and WWW::Mechanize) can do that.
    >
    > There's a JVM module, if "offline" testing of your applet without its
    > surrounding HTML context is sufficient:
    >
    > <http://search.cpan.org/~alknaff/Jvm-0.9.3/Jvm.pm>

    I found a module Java.pm, which claims the ability to access the local and
    remote JVM.
    But I don't know whether or how it works.

    > I really wonder though, what's the point of using Perl to test Java?
    > There are plenty of native Java unit-testing tools, so why not simply
    > use one of those? I like Perl as much as the next guy (or gal), but
    > jumping through hoops to use it instead of a much easier solution in
    > another language is just plain silly.
    >
    > sherm--
    >
    > --
    > My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com
    > Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net

    As i have little knowledge of Java. If appropriatly here, can you give me
    some instruction about auto-testing of an java applet other than perl?

    > [please include your question in the body of your post as well as the
    > Subject. Some of us don't read Subjects.]
    >
    > [test a java(?) applet using Perl]

    Yes.

    lofenee, Jul 15, 2008
  5. lofenee

    lofenee Guest

    > JUnit is very popular, and integrated in a number of IDEs, such as
    > Eclipse and NetBeans:
    >
    > <http://junit.sourceforge.net/>
    >
    > JUnit is so popular that it's spawned an entire family of unit testing
    > tools, including one for Perl called Test::Unit:

    Well, JUnit does fit the unit testing. But it seems not for function test,
    during which
    the applet is loaded and run from the browser, rather than from IDE.

    Actually, without the automation tool, I have to test every function
    manually
    by clicking the button, popup the menu, select each item from droplist...
    So,
    I need a tool to do most of that automatically.

    lofenee, Jul 15, 2008
  6. lofenee

    lofenee Guest

    > [test a java(?) applet using Perl]

    Yes.

    > You may be able to do this with WWW::Selenium, although as Sherm said
    > it's probably better not to.

    It seems WWW::Selenium not supported applet testing. It can not locate
    the widget in the applet.

    lofenee, Jul 15, 2008