    Could somebody help me?

    Thank you so much.

    Kevin

    kevin Liu, Oct 2, 2008

  2. Andrea Francia, Oct 2, 2008

  3. kevin Liu <> wrote in news:2ffeedbc-c731-475b-ae3f-
    :

    > Hi,
    >
    > Any one has experience to connect to database without JDBC? I have a
    > project, and some application has conflict with JDBC. I have no
    > control on the application, but we still need to connect to database.
    > Could somebody help me?
    >
    > Thank you so much.
    >
    > Kevin

    What kind of conflict it is?

    You could always use JDBC-ODBC bridge, and so connect to the database via
    ODBC.

    If it is some application running within your JVM that conflicts with the
    jdbc, that would be odd.

    Donkey Hottie, Oct 2, 2008
  4. kevin Liu

    kevin Liu Guest

    On Oct 2, 3:23 pm, Andrea Francia <andrea.fran...@REMOVE-FROM-
    HERE.ohoihihoihoih.TO-HERE.gmx.it> wrote:
    > kevin Liu wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > Any one has experience to connect to database without JDBC? I have a
    > > project, and some application has conflict with JDBC. I have no
    > > control on the application, but we still need to connect to database.

    > Which DBMS you need to support?
    >
    > --
    > Andrea Franciahttp://andreafrancia.blogspot.com/2008/07/colinux-linux-dentro-window...

    We use Oracle. Have any idea?

    Thanks,

    kevin Liu, Oct 2, 2008
  5. kevin Liu

    Markus Tazl Guest

    On 2 Okt., 21:52, kevin Liu <> wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 3:23 pm, Andrea Francia <andrea.fran...@REMOVE-FROM-
    >
    > HERE.ohoihihoihoih.TO-HERE.gmx.it> wrote:
    > > kevin Liu wrote:
    > > > Hi,

    > > > Any one has experience to connect to database without JDBC? I have a
    > > > project, and some application has conflict with JDBC. I have no
    > > > control on the application, but we still need to connect to database.

    > > Which DBMS you need to support?

    > > --
    > > Andrea Franciahttp://andreafrancia.blogspot.com/2008/07/colinux-linux-dentro-window...

    > We use Oracle. Have any idea?
    >
    > Thanks,

    What kind of conflict, could you describe this more detailed ?

    There are several ways to connect to Oracle beside JDBC (using C++ /
    OCI for example)
    but some more details on this particular problem might be helpful

    regards
    Markus Tazl

    Markus Tazl, Oct 2, 2008
  6. On Oct 2, 9:07 pm, kevin Liu <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Any one has experience to connect to database without JDBC? I have a
    > project, and some application has conflict with JDBC. I have no
    > control on the application, but we still need to connect to database.
    > Could somebody help me?
    >
    > Thank you so much.
    >
    > Kevin

    You'd be wise to try and resolve the JDBC issue, instead of trying to
    circumvent it. If not, you're going down the slippery path of trading
    something clean/simple/standard for something that is decidedly not.
    Beware architectural rot ;-)

    softwarepearls_com, Oct 3, 2008
  7. kevin Liu

    kevin Liu Guest

    On Oct 2, 4:11 pm, Markus Tazl <> wrote:
    > On 2 Okt., 21:52, kevin Liu <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 2, 3:23 pm, Andrea Francia <andrea.fran...@REMOVE-FROM-

    > > HERE.ohoihihoihoih.TO-HERE.gmx.it> wrote:

    > > > Which DBMS you need to support?

    > > > --
    > > > Andrea Franciahttp://andreafrancia.blogspot.com/2008/07/colinux-linux-dentro-window...

    > > We use Oracle. Have any idea?

    > > Thanks,

    > What kind of conflict, could you describe this more detailed ?
    >
    > There are several ways to connect to Oracle beside JDBC (using C++ /
    > OCI for example)
    > but some more details on this particular problem might be helpful
    >
    > regards
    > Markus Tazl

    I didn't see the actual error. We use IBM Rational product to do the
    automation testing. It has conflict between the rational product and
    JDBC when we connect database. IBM Rational sent some technical guys
    to help us, but still cannot find any solutions. We are looking for
    solutions other than JDBC to run the project. If you have any
    suggestion, that will be wonderful.

    Thanks for you time.

    Kevin

    kevin Liu, Oct 3, 2008
  8. kevin Liu

    kevin Liu Guest

    On Oct 3, 8:52 am, softwarepearls_com <> wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 9:07 pm, kevin Liu <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > Any one has experience to connect to database without JDBC? I have a
    > > project, and some application has conflict with JDBC. I have no
    > > control on the application, but we still need to connect to database.
    > > Could somebody help me?

    > > Thank you so much.

    > > Kevin

    > You'd be wise to try and resolve the JDBC issue, instead of trying to
    > circumvent it. If not, you're going down the slippery path of trading
    > something clean/simple/standard for something that is decidedly not.
    > Beware architectural rot ;-)

    Thanks for your suggestion,

    We will both at the time.

    Kevin

    kevin Liu, Oct 3, 2008
  9. kevin Liu

    kevin Liu Guest

    On Oct 2, 3:39 pm, Donkey Hottie <-a-geek.com> wrote:
    > kevin Liu <> wrote in news:2ffeedbc-c731-475b-ae3f-
    > :
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > Any one has experience to connect to database without JDBC? I have a
    > > project, and some application has conflict with JDBC. I have no
    > > control on the application, but we still need to connect to database.
    > > Could somebody help me?

    > > Thank you so much.

    > > Kevin

    > What kind of conflict it is?
    >
    > You could always use JDBC-ODBC bridge, and so connect to the database via
    > ODBC.
    >
    > If it is some application running within your JVM that conflicts with the
    > jdbc, that would be odd.

    Thanks,

    It's the problem what we have.....
    Do you have any suggestion?

    Regards,

    Kevin

    kevin Liu, Oct 3, 2008
  10. kevin Liu

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, kevin Liu wrote:

    > On Oct 2, 4:11 pm, Markus Tazl <> wrote:
    >> On 2 Okt., 21:52, kevin Liu <> wrote:

    >>> We use Oracle. Have any idea?

    >> What kind of conflict, could you describe this more detailed ?
    >>
    >> There are several ways to connect to Oracle beside JDBC (using C++ /
    >> OCI for example) but some more details on this particular problem might
    >> be helpful

    > I didn't see the actual error. We use IBM Rational product to do the
    > automation testing. It has conflict between the rational product and
    > JDBC when we connect database. IBM Rational sent some technical guys to
    > help us, but still cannot find any solutions. We are looking for
    > solutions other than JDBC to run the project. If you have any
    > suggestion, that will be wonderful.

    If there's a conflict between JDBC and Rational's product, then you will
    need to drop one of them. Hint: it's not JDBC.

    tom

    --
    I have been spraying crisps out of my mouth in excitement for
    five minutes now! I just keep shovelling them in and spraying them

    Tom Anderson, Oct 3, 2008
  11. kevin Liu

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Donkey Hottie wrote:
    > You could always use JDBC-ODBC bridge, and so connect to the database via
    > ODBC.

    I would only recommend that to people with masochistic
    preferences ...

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 4, 2008
  12. kevin Liu

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    kevin Liu wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 3:39 pm, Donkey Hottie <-a-geek.com> wrote:
    >> If it is some application running within your JVM that conflicts with the
    >> jdbc, that would be odd.

    > It's the problem what we have.....
    > Do you have any suggestion?

    The problems should be solvable even if you need different
    versions of the same JDBC driver you should be able to
    accomplish it with clever usage of classloaders.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 4, 2008
  13. kevin Liu

    Firefox 32 Guest

    kevin Liu wrote:
    > On Oct 2, 4:11 pm, Markus Tazl <> wrote:
    >> On 2 Okt., 21:52, kevin Liu <> wrote:

    >>> We use Oracle. Have any idea?
    >>> Thanks,

    >> What kind of conflict, could you describe this more detailed ?
    >>
    >> There are several ways to connect to Oracle beside JDBC (using C++ /
    >> OCI for example)
    >> but some more details on this particular problem might be helpful
    >>
    >> regards
    >> Markus Tazl

    > I didn't see the actual error. We use IBM Rational product to do the
    > automation testing. It has conflict between the rational product and
    > JDBC when we connect database. IBM Rational sent some technical guys
    > to help us, but still cannot find any solutions. We are looking for
    > solutions other than JDBC to run the project. If you have any
    > suggestion, that will be wonderful.
    >
    > Thanks for you time.
    >
    > Kevin

    Could the problem be related to a particular JDBC driver ? Conflicting
    class name ?

    Perhaps another driver might work without a problem, like JDBC-ODBC
    bridge, or LDBC - universal (sort of) JDBC driver.

    http://ldbc.sourceforge.net/

    DG

    Firefox 32, Oct 6, 2008
  14. kevin Liu

    Firefox 32 Guest

    Lew wrote:
    > Firefox 32 wrote:
    >> Could the problem be related to a particular JDBC driver ? Conflicting
    >> class name ?

    > A conflicting class name is highly unlikely. A standard Java component
    > like a JDBC driver from a reputable source will use the
    > "inverted-domain" convention to name its classes, as in
    > "org.postgresql.Driver". Any other party would use a different package
    > hierarchy. If the OP is using a conflicting package hierarchy they
    > should stop doing that, but I doubt they are.

    I meant that, perhaps, another version of the same jar is loaded in the
    same time. Recently I have encontered that kind of a problem. One of two
    companies cooperating had a tight deadline and failed to communicate
    properly with the other.

    DG

    Firefox 32, Oct 6, 2008
  15. kevin Liu

    Msj121 Guest

    On Oct 6, 6:18 pm, Firefox 32 <> wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    > > Firefox 32 wrote:
    > >> Could the problem be related to a particular JDBC driver ? Conflicting
    > >> class name ?

    > > A conflicting class name is highly unlikely. A standard Java component
    > > like a JDBC driver from a reputable source will use the
    > > "inverted-domain" convention to name its classes, as in
    > > "org.postgresql.Driver". Any other party would use a different package
    > > hierarchy. If the OP is using a conflicting package hierarchy they
    > > should stop doing that, but I doubt they are.

    > I meant that, perhaps, another version of the same jar is loaded in the
    > same time. Recently I have encontered that kind of a problem. One of two
    > companies cooperating had a tight deadline and failed to communicate
    > properly with the other.
    >
    > DG

    Hmmmm, as others mentioned the problem is not really stated here.

    Nonetheless, I am wondering - is the problem even in the connection
    itself? Or can you connect but are unable to send/receive data etc....
    It would be helpful to narrow down exactly what the issue might be.

    Msj121, Oct 7, 2008
  16. Lew wrote:
    > Firefox 32 wrote:
    >> Could the problem be related to a particular JDBC driver ? Conflicting
    >> class name ?

    > A conflicting class name is highly unlikely. A standard Java component
    > like a JDBC driver from a reputable source will use the
    > "inverted-domain" convention to name its classes, as in
    > "org.postgresql.Driver". Any other party would use a different package
    > hierarchy.

    It happen all the time.

    The problem is two different versions of the same code.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 7, 2008
  17. Firefox 32 wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Firefox 32 wrote:
    >>> Could the problem be related to a particular JDBC driver ? Conflicting
    >>> class name ?

    >> A conflicting class name is highly unlikely. A standard Java component
    >> like a JDBC driver from a reputable source will use the
    >> "inverted-domain" convention to name its classes, as in
    >> "org.postgresql.Driver". Any other party would use a different package
    >> hierarchy. If the OP is using a conflicting package hierarchy they
    >> should stop doing that, but I doubt they are.

    > I meant that, perhaps, another version of the same jar is loaded in the
    > same time. Recently I have encontered that kind of a problem. One of two
    > companies cooperating had a tight deadline and failed to communicate
    > properly with the other.

    It happens all the time.

    Luckily it is usually not a problem because in a Java EE context
    you usually already have multiple classloaders in place to handle it.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 7, 2008
  18. kevin Liu

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Firefox 32 wrote:
    > kevin Liu wrote:

    >>> What kind of conflict, could you describe this more detailed ?
    >>>
    >>> There are several ways to connect to Oracle beside JDBC (using C++ /
    >>> OCI for example)
    >>> but some more details on this particular problem might be helpful
    >>>
    >>> regards
    >>> Markus Tazl

    >> I didn't see the actual error. We use IBM Rational product to do the
    >> automation testing. It has conflict between the rational product and
    >> JDBC when we connect database. IBM Rational sent some technical guys
    >> to help us, but still cannot find any solutions. We are looking for
    >> solutions other than JDBC to run the project. If you have any
    >> suggestion, that will be wonderful.
    >>
    >> Thanks for you time.

    > Could the problem be related to a particular JDBC driver ? Conflicting
    > class name ?
    >
    > Perhaps another driver might work without a problem, like JDBC-ODBC
    > bridge, or LDBC - universal (sort of) JDBC driver.
    >
    > http://ldbc.sourceforge.net/

    Since LDBC will use the real JDBC driver, then it is far from
    obvious that it will solve the problem.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Oct 7, 2008
  19. kevin Liu

    Firefox 32 Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Firefox 32 wrote:
    >> kevin Liu wrote:

    >>> I didn't see the actual error. We use IBM Rational product to do the
    >>> automation testing. It has conflict between the rational product and
    >>> JDBC when we connect database. IBM Rational sent some technical guys
    >>> to help us, but still cannot find any solutions. We are looking for
    >>> solutions other than JDBC to run the project. If you have any
    >>> suggestion, that will be wonderful.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for you time.

    >> Could the problem be related to a particular JDBC driver ? Conflicting
    >> class name ?
    >>
    >> Perhaps another driver might work without a problem, like JDBC-ODBC
    >> bridge, or LDBC - universal (sort of) JDBC driver.
    >>
    >> http://ldbc.sourceforge.net/

    > Since LDBC will use the real JDBC driver, then it is far from
    > obvious that it will solve the problem.

    Looks like I've misunderstood LDBC.

    DG

    Firefox 32, Oct 7, 2008
  20. kevin Liu

    Firefox 32 Guest

    Msj121 wrote:
    > On Oct 6, 6:18 pm, Firefox 32 <> wrote:
    >>> A conflicting class name is highly unlikely. A standard Java component
    >>> like a JDBC driver from a reputable source will use the
    >>> "inverted-domain" convention to name its classes, as in
    >>> "org.postgresql.Driver". Any other party would use a different package
    >>> hierarchy. If the OP is using a conflicting package hierarchy they
    >>> should stop doing that, but I doubt they are.

    >> I meant that, perhaps, another version of the same jar is loaded in the
    >> same time. Recently I have encontered that kind of a problem. One of two
    >> companies cooperating had a tight deadline and failed to communicate
    >> properly with the other.
    >>
    >> DG

    > Hmmmm, as others mentioned the problem is not really stated here.
    >
    > Nonetheless, I am wondering - is the problem even in the connection
    > itself? Or can you connect but are unable to send/receive data etc....
    > It would be helpful to narrow down exactly what the issue might be.

    I am not familiar with the IBM product mentioned, don't know if it
    includes any JDBC drivers itself. If it does, it might create a conflict.

    DG

    Firefox 32, Oct 7, 2008