    to do this, because i would like to dump all the waveforms values for
    analysis in excel spreadsheet.

    Carson

    Carson, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Carson wrote:

    > Is there any way to convert modelsim wave output to text file? it
    > would be great if no changes in the VHDL code is required. I would like
    > to do this, because i would like to dump all the waveforms values for
    > analysis in excel spreadsheet.

    To be tool-independent you may use

    process(my_signal)
    begin
    if (my_signal'event) then
    -- write from VHDL to text file
    end if;
    end process;

    You can easily format the text output as you wish, but the disadvantage
    is, that you have to write such a process for every signal you want to
    trace.

    Ralf

    Ralf Hildebrandt, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Carson

    Andy Peters Guest

    Carson wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any way to convert modelsim wave output to text file? it
    > would be great if no changes in the VHDL code is required. I would like
    > to do this, because i would like to dump all the waveforms values for
    > analysis in excel spreadsheet.

    Ummmm, ModelSim has had lists basically, like, forever.

    --a

    Andy Peters, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Carson

    Carson Guest

    sorry, I can't understand, may you please elaborate?

    Carson

    Carson, Aug 10, 2005
  5. Hi Carson,

    > sorry, I can't understand, may you please elaborate?

    Modelsim also has something called a List Window. You can add signals you
    want to dump later into this list window, and after simulation, you can
    then write the contents of the window to an ASCII file.

    The format may ned to have a bit of massaging with Perl before it's usable
    in Excel or OpenOffice.

    Best regards,

    Ben

    Ben Twijnstra, Aug 10, 2005
  6. Carson

    Carson Guest

    I tried it out today. It's so cool! I can now dump it out to text, and
    awk it to excel.

    Thanks!

    Carson

    Carson, Aug 11, 2005
  7. Carson

    Divyang M Guest

    Hi Carson..
    Can you tell which method did you use?

    I have always used the method suggested by Ralf above (because I don't
    want the signal on every clock cycle but whenever a datavalid signal
    coincides with the signal), but now I realise that when I have a lot of
    signals that I write to a text file, the simulation is very slow. I am
    currently writing 18 signals and the simulation takes 1.5 days...When I
    wrote only 1 signal, simulation took only 3 hrs.

    If you've used the Lists from ModelSim can you tell me:
    Is using the Lists faster? and can I grab data in the list only when
    the datavalid signal is high instead of every clock cycle?

    Thanks..
    Divyang M

    Divyang M, Aug 11, 2005
  8. Carson

    Carson Guest

    Hi Divyang,

    Sorry to reply so late. Have been away for a while...

    I think list is very fast. But be warned that the text file output
    will be huge. So just capture the signal that u want, and compressed
    the "delta cycle" [can be chosen in modelsim]. I can't capture the
    signal using clock'event because the original testbench cannot be
    modified.

    Hope it works for you. :D

    Carson

    Carson, Aug 20, 2005
  9. Carson

    Ajeetha Guest

    Hi Divyang,
    I didn't try this in Modelsim, but a quick look at their
    documentation revealed it is possible, look for the following section
    under Waveform Analysis:
    -----
    Configuring new line triggering in the List window
    -----

    I do very similar thing with VCS-DVE every now and then, it works fine.

    HTH
    Ajeetha
    http://www.noveldv.com

    Ajeetha, Aug 21, 2005