Is there any way to set the length/wdith of a select menu?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Shane Mingins, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Hi

    From what I have read there does not seem to be a way of setting the length
    of a <SELECT> element.

    I wish to have the selector box a certain length regardless of whether it is
    empty or populated.

    By default it sets itself to the length of the longest <OPTION> element.

    Any tips to workaround this?

    E.g Empy and Populated are the same length

    Empty
    __________________
    |_________________V|

    Populated
    __________________
    |_sdd_____________V|

    Thanks
    Shane

    --
    hes

    remove clothes before replying

    "What are you famous for?" she asked.
    "I am simply famous," he replied.

    Shane Mingins, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Shane Mingins

    Sean Jorden Guest

    "Shane Mingins" <> wrote in

    > From what I have read there does not seem to be a way of setting the
    > length of a <SELECT> element.
    >
    > E.g Empy and Populated are the same length

    you can use CSS in this manner:

    <select style="width:120px" >

    However, be advised that even when the list items are shown, IE (only one I
    have noticed) will chop off any text that goes over the width.

    Sean

    Sean Jorden, Sep 18, 2003

  3. "Sean Jorden" <_o_r_a.d.a.com> wrote in message
    > "Shane Mingins" <> wrote in
    > However, be advised that even when the list items are shown, IE (only one

    > have noticed) will chop off any text that goes over the width.

    Which is a good thing if you have the kind of customers we do. They like
    their titles long and boring.

    Woolly Mittens, Sep 18, 2003