Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

dick

Hi folks,

Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Recently I am applying for an embedded design job. The company asked
me to fill "HireRight" forms online just after a 20 minute telephone
interview.

The following is a part of their email that they sent me. The words
they ask me to fill "HireRight" forms are:

The application takes approximately 20-30 minutes to fill out - we
recommend you collect the following information before you start:

- Employers: start/end dates, job title/duties, supervisors, company
contact information (phone numbers, e-mail)
- Education: dates, degree information
- Residences: dates and addresses
- Personal Information: date of birth, identification (Social
Security Number, driver's license number, visa number)

My question is: Shall I let them check my background before they
schedule a site interview?

Thanks,
Dick

Victor Bazarov

dick said:
[..]
My question is: Shall I let them check my background before they
schedule a site interview?

I wouldn't. But you're way off-topic at least in two of the three
newsgroups to which you cross-posted.

Malcolm McLean

dick said:
Hi folks,

Is there anyone hears about "HireRight.com"?

Recently I am applying for an embedded design job. The company asked
me to fill "HireRight" forms online just after a 20 minute telephone
interview.

The following is a part of their email that they sent me. The words
they ask me to fill "HireRight" forms are:

The application takes approximately 20-30 minutes to fill out - we
recommend you collect the following information before you start:

- Employers: start/end dates, job title/duties, supervisors, company
contact information (phone numbers, e-mail)
- Education: dates, degree information
- Residences: dates and addresses
- Personal Information: date of birth, identification (Social
Security Number, driver's license number, visa number)

My question is: Shall I let them check my background before they
schedule a site interview?
This is normal information which virtually any employer worth working for
will ask for before offering you a job. Normally references won't be taken
up until they have decided they want you.
There is a privacy-destroying element to modern life. Unless you want fame
as a martyr, the best thing is to just accept it.

Donald

Malcolm said:
This is normal information which virtually any employer worth working
for will ask for before offering you a job. Normally references won't be

I have never been asked to give this information before being offered a
position.

I would never give this information before bring hired.

What country are you in ??

This is personal information that is not necessary to know if I can do
the job.

After being made an offer, I have been asked for a background check, but
I still got the job before they asked for it.

donald

Stephen Sprunk

dick said:
The following is a part of their email that they sent me. The words
they ask me to fill "HireRight" forms are:

The application takes approximately 20-30 minutes to fill out - we
recommend you collect the following information before you start:

- Employers: start/end dates, job title/duties, supervisors, company
contact information (phone numbers, e-mail)
- Education: dates, degree information
- Residences: dates and addresses
- Personal Information: date of birth, identification (Social
Security Number, driver's license number, visa number)

My question is: Shall I let them check my background before they
schedule a site interview?

I've never been required to give any of the above information, other than
what's found on a typical résumé, before they had made a tentative offer.
Typically such an offer is conditional on a successful background check,
reference check, etc. and comes _after_ all interviews are completed.

I would turn the company down on privacy grounds unless you're desperate for
a job, have no other opportunities, and are fairly sure they'll hire you
after they get the info. Those factors tend to be mutually exclusive,
though...

Chris Hills

Before we get a pointless rant from may people

Dick,

1 Which country is this job in?
2 What nationality are you?
3 Are you a permanent resident in the country?
4 What industry is the job in?

In the UK there are several companies that will ask a LOT more than you
have indicated *before* any interview. However it is not the norm.

For most permanent jobs they will want career history with dates etc
also your education/ qualifications.

Contract work tends to be a little different.

Pete Fenelon

In comp.arch.embedded dick said:
- Employers: start/end dates, job title/duties, supervisors, company
contact information (phone numbers, e-mail)
- Education: dates, degree information

Fair enough, this should be on a CV.

I would not normally give this until *after* an interview.
- Residences: dates and addresses

This is of no conceivable relevance to an application.
- Personal Information: date of birth, identification (Social
Security Number, driver's license number, visa number)

And this (from a UK point of view) is just prying. NI number is
something they'd get *after hiring*. Visa maybe if a candidate needed a
work permit.

Sounds spooky to me.

pete

Walter Roberson

Chris Hills said:
In the UK there are several companies that will ask a LOT more than you
have indicated *before* any interview. However it is not the norm.

When you are -considering- someone, you don't need their
Social Security Number or driver's license number. From what I
gather as a non-EU resident, the EU databank privacy laws would block
collection of that level of information until it was actually needed.

Isn't there a rule something along the lines that to collect that
kind of information, that the collecting organization's databank number
must be presented first?

Default User

Pete said:
Fair enough, this should be on a CV.

I would not normally give this until after an interview.

This is of no conceivable relevance to an application.

And this (from a UK point of view) is just prying. NI number is
something they'd get *after hiring*. Visa maybe if a candidate needed
a work permit.

Pretty much anything that attempts to establish the age of the
applicant is downright illegal in the US under age discrimination
legislation.

So all that about employment dates and education dates probably can't
be asked. Asking birthdate is a complete no-no.

Brian

Chris Hills

Walter Roberson said:
Chris Hills said:
When you are -considering- someone, you don't need their
Social Security Number or driver's license number. From what I
gather as a non-EU resident, the EU databank privacy laws would block
collection of that level of information until it was actually needed.

Not as far as I know. Though it is not usually asked for until later in
the process
Isn't there a rule something along the lines that to collect that
kind of information, that the collecting organization's databank number
must be presented first?

No. Or at least not that I have come across.

Donald

Chris said:
Not as far as I know. Though it is not usually asked for until later in
the process

No. Or at least not that I have come across.

It would seem that "HireRight.com" is createing a database of people.
They are asking questions that many may feel required to provide, so the
employer does not have to.

Even their web site (HireRight.com) states what they want:

"On-Demand Employment Screening Solutions"
"Built for Speed, Efficiency and Control"

I am sure the control part is what they are selling.

donald

Stephen Sprunk

Default User said:
Pretty much anything that attempts to establish the age of the
applicant is downright illegal in the US under age discrimination
legislation.

So all that about employment dates and education dates probably can't
be asked. Asking birthdate is a complete no-no.

No, discriminating against people on the basis of age is illegal. Asking
someone's age (or various other things) can create the presumption of
discrimination, but it's not illegal per se. It's also required by law to
establish that the person is not a minor, and they must present various
documents (at least one of which will show a birthdate) to complete the I-9
form. However, if an employer doesn't want to get in trouble with the EEOC,
such things are only asked _after_ they indicate the intent to hire (and
definitely not at all if they don't intend to hire).

Believe me, I've had several day-long classes on what is and isn't okay to
ask/say at various stages in the hiring process... For instance, you can't
ask someone if they have kids, but you can ask if they can work certain
hours, travel on short notice for extended periods of time, etc. -- stuff
that legitimately affects their ability to do certain jobs.

It's a moot point anyways, since you can almost always guess someone's age
based on the information they provide voluntarily in their résumé. Not that
I care, but it's usually pretty obvious.

dick

A big problem is that if X company hire me and they use
"HireRight.com" to check my background, then "HireRight.com" can
records all information they obtain from X company.

And I want to let you know that I cannot ping "HireRight.com".

ping hireright.com
PING hireright.com (216.154.252.83) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- hireright.com ping statistics ---
218 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 217313ms

Shall I call FBI?

CBFalconer

dick said:
A big problem is that if X company hire me and they use
"HireRight.com" to check my background, then "HireRight.com" can
records all information they obtain from X company.

irrelevant material. See the following links:

Stephen Sprunk

dick said:
A big problem is that if X company hire me and they use
"HireRight.com" to check my background, then "HireRight.com"
can records all information they obtain from X company.

The same can be said of any of the hundreds of companies and thousands of
private investigators that do background checks. The only difference in
this case is that you're being asked to give up your privacy _before_ they
make an offer or even interview you. Any other company would do the same
thing later in the process.
And I want to let you know that I cannot ping "HireRight.com".
Shall I call FBI?

It's hardly a crime to have a firewall; it's common sense.

Richard Bos

Stephen Sprunk said:
The same can be said of any of the hundreds of companies and thousands of
private investigators that do background checks. The only difference in
this case is that you're being asked to give up your privacy _before_ they
make an offer or even interview you. Any other company would do the same
thing later in the process.

This is rather a massive difference, though. It smells of data gathering
to me.

Richard

rickman

This is normal information which virtually any employer worth working for
will ask for before offering you a job. Normally references won't be taken
up until they have decided they want you.
There is a privacy-destroying element to modern life. Unless you want fame
as a martyr, the best thing is to just accept it.

And this is exactly the lie down and die attitude that allows them to
do such invasive searches prior to an interview.

I once was asked for a huge amount of information prior to an
interview including *medical* info which is entirely illegal in the
US. I said I would not give them medical info and pointed out that it
is illegal. They then called me in for an interview without it. So
clearly they were aware of the possible issues and were willing to
work with anyone who objected. Likewise I did not give up any other
info *prior* to an offer with the understanding that an offer would be
conditional on a clean report.

That is the real reason they want the info *prior* to an interview.
Then if they don't like anything you don't even get called in and you
have no potential case for hiring discimination. Once they make an
offer and withdraw it, you could pursue a case against them.

I have had the same concerns with drug tests which used to be done at
the interview rather than *after* you were hired. My concern was
always about my rights to appeal the tests. I know I don't use
illegal drugs. I also know that *NO* biologial test is ever 100%
accurate. So I want to be able to dispute the test result if it comes
back positive. Likewise I want to be able to chalenge or at least
know about anything negative on an investigation. You will never get
that if it is done *before* you get an offer.

So don't lay down for them when they want to invade your privacy and
take away your right to be informed of problems in an investigation.
Politely explain your concerns and let them make a decision if they
are going to lose a potential employee. Trust me, I know that it
matters to them.

rickman

Will you get a grip??!!! All the crap that goes on in a newsgroup and
your only interest in this discussion is that the guy not top
post!!!

I am making two rules right now...

You can not complain about top posting unless you are actually making
a post relevant to the thread.

Sigs are not allowed to be written in reverse order so as to show how
F*&%ing Stupid top posting is. That is like F*&%ing for virginity!
(not that you did either of these things) ;^)

rickman

This is rather a massive difference, though. It smells of data gathering
to me.

My concern is not that the data is gathered, but that I have no right
to inspect and correct the data or evaluate the sources. Personally I
feel you should also have the right to know *exactly* how the data
will be used. If I am providing access to my economic data, then I
would like to know what they would be looking for to disqualify me
from employment. If I am using 10 credit cards will that keep me from
getting a job? How about if I had a foreclosure 5 years ago on a
mortgage that I couldn't pay because I was ill and not able to work?
Why would a company want my *medical* data that they are not allowed
to evaluate???

pete

rickman said:
Will you get a grip??!!! All the crap that goes on in a newsgroup and
your only interest in this discussion is that the guy not top
post!!!

I am making two rules right now...

You can not complain about top posting unless you are actually making
a post relevant to the thread.

But you can complain about complaints anytime?

The subject line of this thread is off topic
for all newsgroups to which it has been cross posted.

I don't like top posting either.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q="top+posting+bastard"

Results 1 - 10 of about 83 for "top posting bastard".