Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C language Development Tools?

Elisa

I remember that I have used a tool which is very good ,its logo is
like a rhombic-square style,and four sides are four different
color,but I forget the software's name , is there anyone who have used
it ?? Can you tell me ? Thanks so much !

I do not like to use visual studio ,its installation cost too many
time

but there is so less resource about CygWin , MinGW ,Code Warrior in
Chinese , Who knows where can I download them?

Thanks !!

Edward A. Falk

Good C language development tools?

I use vi, cc, and make. Anything else just gets in the way.

Free yourself! Embrace the command line.

Elisa

Good C language development tools?

I use vi, cc, and make.  Anything else just gets in the way.

Free yourself!  Embrace the command line.

the command line?! you mean the DOS command line , right?
No matter how , I think you are right , I should free myself !!!~

James Kuyper

the command line?! you mean the DOS command line , right?

Perhaps, if vi has been ported to DOS, which I suppose is quite
possible. However, I think it more likely he's talking about the command
line on a more competently designed OS, probably one similar to UNIX.

Rich Webb

Perhaps, if vi has been ported to DOS, which I suppose is quite
possible.

Oh heck yes. <http://www.vim.org/download.php> I'm pretty sure there
were other flavors besides vim, back in the day, but vim is the go-to
nowadays. The port-ability of vi is one of its strengths. I recall
building one for CP/M with BDS C back in the Paleolithic.

Phil Carmody

Good C language development tools?

I use vi, cc, and make. Anything else just gets in the way.

Free yourself! Embrace the command line.

Amen. I often say "if it looks good, then it wasted your time by
making you look at it". (Or less explicily "if you notice the
interface, it has failed".)

Not that command lines are perfect, but the fact that my dwm session
contains more than 90% terminals, it's clear my own preference lies
there. (I have one conkerer window (a keyboard- driven browser), and a
perl/tk tool I wrote myself to help me find anagrams, the rest are
xterm or rxvt.)

Phil

Phil Carmody

Rich Webb said:
Oh heck yes. <http://www.vim.org/download.php> I'm pretty sure there
were other flavors besides vim, back in the day, but vim is the go-to
nowadays. The port-ability of vi is one of its strengths. I recall
building one for CP/M with BDS C back in the Paleolithic.

The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
portable enough.

Phil

Bill Reid

Good C language development tools?

I use vi, cc, and make.  Anything else just gets in the way.
You mean like a linker? You really ARE hardcore...
Free yourself!  Embrace the command line.
Actually, right off the bat I can't see the big
advantage using vi rather than say "Notepad", but
the truth is I've always been more than satisfied
with the dedicated code editors that come with
the various development packages.

Their version of "make", now that's a somewhat
different story...you always have to guess what,
where, when, and how they've decided code will
go into the thing. Some are basically unusable
as a result, others are OK and actually a big
help at times once you figure out what you need to
do and when to do it...

Patrick Scheible

Nick Keighley said:
move mountains with tweezers. Why not go the whole hog and use ed?

Grumpf. GUIs are a Cadillac. The command line is a truck. If you want
to get work done, use the truck.

-- Patrick

Nick Keighley

Grumpf.  GUIs are a Cadillac.  The command line is a truck.  If youwant
to get work done, use the truck.

despite your prejudices there are millions of peopel getting work done
using guis. vi is not the command line.

Esa Lakaniemi

The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
portable enough.

Phil

Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.

RabbitHaskell

The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
portable enough.

Arrow keys don't always work, but I've never met a vi that didn't accept
H, J, K, and L. Stick to the home row and remember that insert is a
command, not the default mode. If you want to move around the file, you
should be in command mode and using the movement commands--it's more
efficient like that, anyway.

Phil Carmody

Arrow keys don't always work, but I've never met a vi that didn't accept
H, J, K, and L.

You're certainly right that it accepts H, J, K, and L. It of course inserts
them, which is as much a failure to move around as an escape followed by a
pile of line noise.
Stick to the home row and remember that insert is a
command, not the default mode. If you want to move around the file, you
should be in command mode

Nonsense. I should be in an editor which permits me to move the cursor
whenever I want. Fortunately that's almost every editor in the world,
so I don't feel too restricted by that constraint.
and using the movement commands--it's more
efficient like that, anyway.

Only if you drink the vi koolaid. You're coming over as someone who's not
read /The Inmates are Ruling the Asylum/.

Phil

Nick Keighley

Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.

there's a standard for vi?

Nick Keighley

You're certainly right that it accepts H, J, K, and L. It of course inserts
them, which is as much a failure to move around as an escape followed by a
pile of line noise.

Nonsense. I should be in an editor which permits me to move the cursor
whenever I want. Fortunately that's almost every editor in the world,
so I don't feel too restricted by that constraint.

Only if you drink the vi koolaid. You're coming over as someone who's not
read /The Inmates are Ruling the Asylum/.

to be fair vi isn't aimed at the average user, which appear to be what
TIARTA is talking about