    but there is so less resource about CygWin , MinGW ,Code Warrior in
    Chinese , Who knows where can I download them?

    Thanks !!

    Elisa, Oct 25, 2011

  2. Elisa

    Devin Chen Guest

    Re: Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C languageDevelopment Tools?

    do you mean Code::Blocks?

    Devin Chen, Oct 25, 2011

  3. Elisa

    Elisa Guest

    On 10ÔÂ25ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç1ʱ49·Ö, Devin Chen <> wrote:
    > do you mean Code::Blocks?

    I am not sure ,but I went to the Code::Blocks' Website and download it
    with installing .
    I see this : http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/workspace
    the logo in the first content row looks like very much....
    I think maybe the Code::Blocks have changed its version ^^ and logo

    Thanks ,Devin , Thank you very much~

    Elisa, Oct 25, 2011
  4. Good C language development tools?

    I use vi, cc, and make. Anything else just gets in the way.

    Free yourself! Embrace the command line.

    --
    -Ed Falk,
    http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

    Edward A. Falk, Oct 25, 2011
  5. Elisa

    Elisa Guest

    On Oct 26, 3:55 am, (Edward A. Falk) wrote:
    > Good C language development tools?
    >
    > I use vi, cc, and make.  Anything else just gets in the way.
    >
    > Free yourself!  Embrace the command line.
    >
    > --
    >         -Ed Falk,
    >        http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

    the command line?! you mean the DOS command line , right?
    No matter how , I think you are right , I should free myself !!!~

    Elisa, Oct 26, 2011
  6. Elisa

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 10/26/2011 05:28 AM, Elisa wrote:
    > On Oct 26, 3:55�am, (Edward A. Falk) wrote:
    >> Good C language development tools?
    >>
    >> I use vi, cc, and make. �Anything else just gets in the way.
    >>
    >> Free yourself! �Embrace the command line.

    > the command line?! you mean the DOS command line , right?

    Perhaps, if vi has been ported to DOS, which I suppose is quite
    possible. However, I think it more likely he's talking about the command
    line on a more competently designed OS, probably one similar to UNIX.
    --
    James Kuyper

    James Kuyper, Oct 26, 2011
  7. Elisa

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 06:43:57 -0400, James Kuyper
    <> wrote:

    >On 10/26/2011 05:28 AM, Elisa wrote:
    >> On Oct 26, 3:55?am, (Edward A. Falk) wrote:
    >>> Good C language development tools?
    >>>
    >>> I use vi, cc, and make. ?Anything else just gets in the way.
    >>>
    >>> Free yourself! ?Embrace the command line.

    >> the command line?! you mean the DOS command line , right?

    >Perhaps, if vi has been ported to DOS, which I suppose is quite
    >possible.

    Oh heck yes. <http://www.vim.org/download.php> I'm pretty sure there
    were other flavors besides vim, back in the day, but vim is the go-to
    nowadays. The port-ability of vi is one of its strengths. I recall
    building one for CP/M with BDS C back in the Paleolithic.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

    Rich Webb, Oct 26, 2011
  8. Elisa

    Phil Carmody Guest

    (Edward A. Falk) writes:
    > Good C language development tools?
    >
    > I use vi, cc, and make. Anything else just gets in the way.
    >
    > Free yourself! Embrace the command line.

    Amen. I often say "if it looks good, then it wasted your time by
    making you look at it". (Or less explicily "if you notice the
    interface, it has failed".)

    Not that command lines are perfect, but the fact that my dwm session
    contains more than 90% terminals, it's clear my own preference lies
    there. (I have one conkerer window (a keyboard- driven browser), and a
    perl/tk tool I wrote myself to help me find anagrams, the rest are
    xterm or rxvt.)

    Phil
    -- Dennis Ritchie (1941-2011), Unix Co-Creator

    Phil Carmody, Oct 26, 2011
  9. Elisa

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Rich Webb <> writes:
    > On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 06:43:57 -0400, James Kuyper
    > <> wrote:

    > >> the command line?! you mean the DOS command line , right?

    > >Perhaps, if vi has been ported to DOS, which I suppose is quite
    > >possible.

    > Oh heck yes. <http://www.vim.org/download.php> I'm pretty sure there
    > were other flavors besides vim, back in the day, but vim is the go-to
    > nowadays. The port-ability of vi is one of its strengths. I recall
    > building one for CP/M with BDS C back in the Paleolithic.

    The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
    know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
    escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
    as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
    portable enough.

    Phil Carmody, Oct 26, 2011
  10. Re: Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C languageDevelopment Tools?

    On Oct 26, 10:28 am, Elisa <> wrote:
    > On Oct 26, 3:55 am, (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

    > > Good C language development tools?

    > > I use vi, cc, and make.  Anything else just gets in the way.

    > > Free yourself!  Embrace the command line.

    move mountains with tweezers. Why not go the whole hog and use ed?

    Nick Keighley, Oct 27, 2011
  11. Elisa

    Bill Reid Guest

    On Oct 25, 12:55 pm, (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

    > Good C language development tools?
    >
    > I use vi, cc, and make.  Anything else just gets in the way.

    You mean like a linker? You really ARE hardcore...

    > Free yourself!  Embrace the command line.

    Actually, right off the bat I can't see the big
    advantage using vi rather than say "Notepad", but
    the truth is I've always been more than satisfied
    with the dedicated code editors that come with
    the various development packages.

    Their version of "make", now that's a somewhat
    different story...you always have to guess what,
    where, when, and how they've decided code will
    go into the thing. Some are basically unusable
    as a result, others are OK and actually a big
    help at times once you figure out what you need to
    do and when to do it...

    ---
    William Ernest Reid

    Bill Reid, Oct 27, 2011
  12. Nick Keighley <> writes:

    > On Oct 26, 10:28 am, Elisa <> wrote:
    >> On Oct 26, 3:55 am, (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

    >> > Good C language development tools?

    >> > I use vi, cc, and make.  Anything else just gets in the way.

    >> > Free yourself!  Embrace the command line.

    > move mountains with tweezers. Why not go the whole hog and use ed?

    Grumpf. GUIs are a Cadillac. The command line is a truck. If you want
    to get work done, use the truck.

    -- Patrick

    Patrick Scheible, Oct 27, 2011
  13. Re: Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C languageDevelopment Tools?

    On Oct 27, 9:02 pm, Patrick Scheible <> wrote:
    > Nick Keighley <> writes:

    > > move mountains with tweezers. Why not go the whole hog and use ed?

    > Grumpf.  GUIs are a Cadillac.  The command line is a truck.  If youwant
    > to get work done, use the truck.

    despite your prejudices there are millions of peopel getting work done
    using guis. vi is not the command line.

    Nick Keighley, Oct 28, 2011
  14. Re: Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C language DevelopmentTools?

    On 27.10.2011 00:28, Phil Carmody wrote:
    > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
    > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
    > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
    > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
    > portable enough.
    >
    > Phil

    Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
    insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.

    Esa Lakaniemi, Oct 28, 2011
  15. Elisa

    On 2011-10-26, Phil Carmody <> wrote:
    > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
    > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
    > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
    > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
    > portable enough.

    Arrow keys don't always work, but I've never met a vi that didn't accept
    H, J, K, and L. Stick to the home row and remember that insert is a
    command, not the default mode. If you want to move around the file, you
    should be in command mode and using the movement commands--it's more
    efficient like that, anyway.

    , Oct 29, 2011
  16. Elisa

    Phil Carmody Guest

    writes:
    > On 2011-10-26, Phil Carmody <> wrote:
    > > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
    > > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
    > > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
    > > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
    > > portable enough.

    > Arrow keys don't always work, but I've never met a vi that didn't accept
    > H, J, K, and L.

    You're certainly right that it accepts H, J, K, and L. It of course inserts
    them, which is as much a failure to move around as an escape followed by a
    pile of line noise.

    > Stick to the home row and remember that insert is a
    > command, not the default mode. If you want to move around the file, you
    > should be in command mode

    Nonsense. I should be in an editor which permits me to move the cursor
    whenever I want. Fortunately that's almost every editor in the world,
    so I don't feel too restricted by that constraint.

    > and using the movement commands--it's more
    > efficient like that, anyway.

    Only if you drink the vi koolaid. You're coming over as someone who's not
    read /The Inmates are Ruling the Asylum/.

    Phil Carmody, Oct 29, 2011
  17. Re: Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C languageDevelopment Tools?

    On Oct 28, 2:36 pm, Esa Lakaniemi <> wrote:
    > On 27.10.2011 00:28, Phil Carmody wrote:
    >
    > > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
    > > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
    > > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
    > > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
    > > portable enough.

    > > Phil

    > Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
    > insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.

    there's a standard for vi?

    --
    "VI VI VI the editor of the beast"

    Nick Keighley, Oct 29, 2011
  18. Re: Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C languageDevelopment Tools?

    On Oct 29, 3:28 pm, Phil Carmody <>
    wrote:
    > writes:
    > > On 2011-10-26, Phil Carmody <> wrote:
    > > > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
    > > > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
    > > > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
    > > > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
    > > > portable enough.

    > > Arrow keys don't always work, but I've never met a vi that didn't accept
    > > H, J, K, and L.

    > You're certainly right that it accepts H, J, K, and L. It of course inserts
    > them, which is as much a failure to move around as an escape followed by a
    > pile of line noise.
    >
    > > Stick to the home row and remember that insert is a
    > > command, not the default mode. If you want to move around the file, you
    > > should be in command mode

    > Nonsense. I should be in an editor which permits me to move the cursor
    > whenever I want. Fortunately that's almost every editor in the world,
    > so I don't feel too restricted by that constraint.
    >
    > > and using the movement commands--it's more
    > > efficient like that, anyway.

    > Only if you drink the vi koolaid. You're coming over as someone who's not
    > read /The Inmates are Ruling the Asylum/.

    to be fair vi isn't aimed at the average user, which appear to be what
    TIARTA is talking about

    Nick Keighley, Oct 29, 2011
  19. Elisa

    James Kuyper Guest

    On 10/29/2011 10:42 AM, Nick Keighley wrote:
    > On Oct 28, 2:36�pm, Esa Lakaniemi <> wrote:

    >> Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
    >> insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.

    > there's a standard for vi?

    Yes, it's one of the Unix standard command line utilities; it's
    currently specified by IEEE Std 1003.1-2008.
    --
    James Kuyper

    James Kuyper, Oct 29, 2011
  20. Nick Keighley <> writes:
    > On Oct 28, 2:36 pm, Esa Lakaniemi <> wrote:
    >> On 27.10.2011 00:28, Phil Carmody wrote:
    >>
    >> > The fact that when I press an arrow key on a strange system I don't
    >> > know whether it will move the insertion cursor by one place or will
    >> > escape from that mode and treat the rest of the sequence of characters
    >> > as a mysterious incantation has always made me consider vi-alikes not
    >> > portable enough.

    >> > Phil

    >> Amusingly enough, I believe vi isn't required to support arrow keys in
    >> insert mode, so you shouldn't be attempting to use them.

    > there's a standard for vi?

    Yes, POSIX.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 29, 2011