    Looks like C# getting popular day by day.

    Thanks for your guidence.
    Dan
    Dan, Jan 15, 2010

  2. Dan

    James Irvine Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > I am learning VB.NET for sometime now and curious to know what am I missing
    > by not learning C#.
    > Also wanted to know is there anything VB.NET can do and C# cannot.
    >
    > Looks like C# getting popular day by day.
    >
    > Thanks for your guidence.
    > Dan

    There are a few obscure things VB.NET can do that C# cannot, and
    vice-versa. For all practical purposes, though, their capabilities are
    the same.

    As you say, it appears C# getting popular day by day. And as the syntax
    is more like JavaScript, Java, etc., and more pithy, C# it seems to be
    the wave of the future. The only reason I can think of for using VB is
    because you're already familiar with it, or something like it.
    James Irvine, Jan 15, 2010

  3. Dan wrote:

    > I am learning VB.NET for sometime now and curious to know what am I missing
    > by not learning C#.

    The main feature I miss in VB.NET is "yield" respectively "iterators".
    If you want to implement your own extension method for LINQ to XML for
    instance (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb387045.aspx) that
    does lazy evaluation then you can do that with "yield" easily in C#
    while with VB.NET you would need to implement iterators first. Possible
    of course but requires writing more code.

    --

    Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/
    Martin Honnen, Jan 15, 2010
  4. Dan

    Norman Yuan Guest

    Although many say C# is a bit more popular than VB.NET, and one do not need
    to know both, there is a catch for those who only know C# and illiteral to
    VB.NET:

    If you do SQL Server reporting, you'd need to know some basic VB syntext for
    the report development. With the coming Windows Foundation in .NET 4.0, one
    surely need to write a lot expression in WF's declarative XAML.
    Unfortunately, you have to use VB syntex, not C#.

    Norman Yuan, Jan 16, 2010
  5. Dan

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > I am learning VB.NET for sometime now and curious to know what am I missing
    > by not learning C#.
    > Also wanted to know is there anything VB.NET can do and C# cannot.
    >
    > Looks like C# getting popular day by day.
    >
    > Thanks for your guidence.
    > Dan

    VB.Net cannot do Lambda expressions. But supposedly, that's a new
    feature coming in VB.NET VS 2010. C#.Net can use Lambda expressions
    currently.

    VB.Net has a more limit usage of 'pointers', and C#.Net doesn't have a
    limitation in using 'pointers'.

    C#.Net has Auto-Implemented properties. I guess they are working on that
    in VB.Net.

    C#.NET is a standard and is controlled by the ISO and ECMA Standard
    Committees, which MS sits on the committees along with IBM, HP and
    others to control what happens to C#.NET. That's why C#.NET is popular.

    VB.NET is propritary to MS and MS controls VB.Net.
    Mr. Arnold, Jan 16, 2010
  6. Dan

    Jason Keats Guest

    Jason Keats, Jan 16, 2010