  1. Is there some standard (ish) way to build reusable graphic components
    in the C++ environment?

    -Ramon
    Ramon F Herrera, Nov 29, 2007

  2. Ramon F Herrera

    Ian Collins Guest

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > Is there some standard (ish) way to build reusable graphic components
    > in the C++ environment?

    Check the archives of this group (c.l.c++), this question is asked
    frequently.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Nov 29, 2007

  3. Ramon F Herrera

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> Is there some standard (ish) way to build reusable graphic components
    >> in the C++ environment?
    >>

    > Check the archives of this group (c.l.c++), this question is asked
    > frequently.

    As far as I know, standard C++ doesn't have the necessary reflective API
    to handle the introspection aspect of JavaBeans.

    What features of JavaBeans are you interested in? Events, Properties,
    automatic discovery? There may be C++ centric ways to handle all of these.

    Daniel Pitts, Nov 29, 2007
  4. Ramon F Herrera

    Ron AF Greve Guest

    Hi,

    "Ramon F Herrera" <> wrote in message
    > Is there some standard (ish) way to build reusable graphic components
    > in the C++ environment?
    >
    > -Ramon

    Wel not really a standard way. But in MS-Windows there is of course the
    Component Object Model which is similar to java beans. COM is easy to progam
    in C++ (and easier to use in Visual Basic :) )

    Regards, Ron AF Greve

    http://www.InformationSuperHighway.eu
    Ron AF Greve, Nov 29, 2007
  5. On Nov 29, 1:32 pm, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    > > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > >> Is there some standard (ish) way to build reusable graphic components
    > >> in the C++ environment?

    > > Check the archives of this group (c.l.c++), this question is asked
    > > frequently.

    > As far as I know, standard C++ doesn't have the necessary reflective API
    > to handle the introspection aspect of JavaBeans.

    Thanks for making me look. :) "Looking up", that is. I had been
    wondering about this "reflection" and "introspection", and wondered
    whether it was probably a feature of a language called "665++" (for
    its inability to see its own reflection) :)

    Now seriously. There are some instances of reflection.

    - GUI builders: Matisse does not use reflection, it's just a clumsy
    hack. This one, OTOH provides a nice example of how useful and
    powerful reflection techniques can be:

    http://www.instantiations.com/windowbuilder/ (*)

    - Another example of reflection is some types of viruses

    - A plain vanilla linker-loader is not an example of reflective
    programming.

    -Ramon

    (*) Since I have been on a quest for having a single IDE for Java and C
    ++, I wrote to the company above, asking them if they had something
    like WindowBuilder (it sure beats the pants of MSVC++'s GUI builder)
    for C++. Their response was: "C++? Are people still using that!?". He
    added a smiley, though.
    Ramon F Herrera, Nov 30, 2007
  6. On Nov 29, 1:32 pm, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    > > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > >> Is there some standard (ish) way to build reusable graphic components
    > >> in the C++ environment?

    > > Check the archives of this group (c.l.c++), this question is asked
    > > frequently.

    > As far as I know, standard C++ doesn't have the necessary reflective API
    > to handle the introspection aspect of JavaBeans.
    >
    > What features of JavaBeans are you interested in? Events, Properties,
    > automatic discovery? There may be C++ centric ways to handle all of these.

    My requirements are quite modest. My application has a palette (much
    like Photoshop, except with fewer items) but the elements you click on
    is not just an static icon, they have some GUI behavior. I would like
    to be able to hire different programmers to implement such widgets, in
    a standard -or at least consistent- way, like in JavaBeans.

    -Ramon
    Ramon F Herrera, Nov 30, 2007
  7. Ramon F Herrera

    Tim H Guest

    On Nov 29, 8:24 pm, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 1:32 pm, Daniel Pitts
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Ian Collins wrote:

    > > > Check the archives of this group (c.l.c++), this question is asked
    > > > frequently.

    > > As far as I know, standard C++ doesn't have the necessary reflective API
    > > to handle the introspection aspect of JavaBeans.

    > > What features of JavaBeans are you interested in? Events, Properties,
    > > automatic discovery? There may be C++ centric ways to handle all of these.

    > My requirements are quite modest. My application has a palette (much
    > like Photoshop, except with fewer items) but the elements you click on
    > is not just an static icon, they have some GUI behavior. I would like
    > to be able to hire different programmers to implement such widgets, in
    > a standard -or at least consistent- way, like in JavaBeans.

    Binary consistent, or just API consistent? Isn't that what APIs are
    for?
    Tim H, Nov 30, 2007
  8. Look how it's implemented in QT http://trolltech.com/products/qt

    Andrey Ryabov, Nov 30, 2007
  9. On Nov 30, 3:37 am, Tim H <> wrote:
    > On Nov 29, 8:24 pm, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 29, 1:32 pm, Daniel Pitts

    > > <> wrote:

    > > > As far as I know, standard C++ doesn't have the necessary reflective API
    > > > to handle the introspection aspect of JavaBeans.

    > > > What features of JavaBeans are you interested in? Events, Properties,
    > > > automatic discovery? There may be C++ centric ways to handle all of these.

    > > My requirements are quite modest. My application has a palette (much
    > > like Photoshop, except with fewer items) but the elements you click on
    > > is not just an static icon, they have some GUI behavior. I would like
    > > to be able to hire different programmers to implement such widgets, in
    > > a standard -or at least consistent- way, like in JavaBeans.

    > Binary consistent, or just API consistent?

    That's part of my question.

    > Isn't that what APIs are for?

    Which APIs are you talking about, my own? Some standard?
    See my answer to your previous question above.

    I am an experienced C (and recently, Java) programmer. I have read the
    "Thinking in C++" book, so I am familiar with the syntax. What I am
    really trying to figure out is the resources and facilities out there
    (libraries, GUI toolkits, source code available, common usage, best
    practices, etc.). In those areas are I am pretty much a clueless
    newbie.

    Thanks,

    -Ramon
    Ramon F Herrera, Nov 30, 2007