Is there some URL prefix that can launch a MSN Messenger Conversation?

Kevin Buchan

Obviously, having a link with 'http://' at the beginning of it
launches the default browser and navigates to the address listed.
A link with 'mailto:' at the beginning starts an email with the
addressee already identified.

I was wondering if there is some type of prefix that would allow a MSN
Messenger conversation to be initiated. My firm is already
standardized on MSN Messenger and IE 5.5, so if the solution required
these in a proprietary solution, that'd be OK for now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Kevin Buchan
(e-mail address removed)

Curt_C [MVP]

"file:///c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe"

put that in your address bar and hit enter

Kevin Buchan

Thanks to you and Curt_C for your replies.

In my situation, MSN Messenger is extremely likely to already be
running so it's not so much launching Messenger that I need to do, but
initiate a conversation with a someone by clicking a hyperlink.

I found that I can easily do this with an ActiveX control I made. Not
my ideal situation, but at least I have no security warnings.

Cheers!

-Kevin Buchan
(e-mail address removed)