is there standard file format that encapsulates xml+css in one file? (for use without an internet c

john schultz

is there a standard file format that encapsulates some xml data and a
stylesheet with which to display it in one file? ...and which doesn't
require an internet connection. of course xml lets you reference a
remote stylesheet with a url, but I'm looking for something that
actually stores the stylesheet WITH the xml.

any ideas?

Malcolm Dew-Jones

john schultz ([email protected]) wrote:
: is there a standard file format that encapsulates some xml data and a
: stylesheet with which to display it in one file? ...and which doesn't
: require an internet connection. of course xml lets you reference a
: remote stylesheet with a url, but I'm looking for something that
: actually stores the stylesheet WITH the xml.

: any ideas?

MIME can do that sort of thing (that's how html mail message are built
that contain their own images).

$0.02

Presumably you could simply define a higher level xml document to do this
if you wished.

<complete-document>
-style sheet- stuff goes here-
<rest-of-document>
-the original document goes here-
</rest-of-document>
</complete-document>

And some things (html comes to mind) already allow their style sheets to
be part of the document.

Victor Porton

john schultz ([email protected]) wrote:
: is there a standard file format that encapsulates some xml data and a
: stylesheet with which to display it in one file? ...and which doesn't
: require an internet connection. of course xml lets you reference a
: remote stylesheet with a url, but I'm looking for something that
: actually stores the stylesheet WITH the xml.

And some things (html comes to mind) already allow their style sheets to
be part of the document.

XHTML 1.0 or XHTML 1.1 (see w3.org).

But be warned: HTML user agents are not required to support
all CSS (e.g. display: property may be ignored).