  1. (open source) that will let me view how many insatnces of which
    objects are currently instantiated in the JVM?

    Or something similiar for the web container TomCat?
    Edward A Thompson, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Edward A Thompson wrote:
    > (open source) that will let me view how many insatnces of which
    > objects are currently instantiated in the JVM?

    What you're looking for is called a "profiler", what you want to
    do is "heap profiling".

    Currently, the only open source profiler that does heap profiling seems to be
    this one: http://jmechanic.sourceforge.net/

    But it my be unstable and difficult to use at version 0.5...
    Michael Borgwardt, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Michael Borgwardt () wrote:
    : Edward A Thompson wrote:
    : > (open source) that will let me view how many insatnces of which
    : > objects are currently instantiated in the JVM?

    : What you're looking for is called a "profiler", what you want to
    : do is "heap profiling".
    : Currently, the only open source profiler that does heap profiling seems to be
    : this one: http://jmechanic.sourceforge.net/

    Not entirely correct.
    HProf is included in any modern jdk (1.2.2+?) its not open source, but
    its gratis and the source is available.
    My profiler, JMP, is open source and can be found at:
    http://www.khelekore.org/jmp

    There are others like:
    eclipsecolorer http://eclipsecolorer.sourceforge.net/index_profiler.html

    You also have a couple of commercial ones like optimizeit, jprobe,
    jprofiler.

    Have fun
    /robo
    Robert Olofsson, Oct 2, 2003
  4. Robert Olofsson wrote:
    > : Currently, the only open source profiler that does heap profiling seems to be
    > : this one: http://jmechanic.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Not entirely correct.
    > HProf is included in any modern jdk (1.2.2+?) its not open source, but
    > its gratis and the source is available.

    OK, it actually fulfills the OP's (minimal) requirements, but it's a
    bit spartanic.

    > My profiler, JMP, is open source and can be found at:
    > http://www.khelekore.org/jmp

    First time I've heard about it. I'll give it a try sometimes.

    > There are others like:
    > eclipsecolorer http://eclipsecolorer.sourceforge.net/index_profiler.html

    It doesn't do heap profiling.

    > You also have a couple of commercial ones like optimizeit, jprobe,
    > jprofiler.

    Of course.
    Michael Borgwardt, Oct 2, 2003