Is there such a thing as a Real-time Web Application?

Charles Law

Hi Randolpho

Thanks for the observations. I take your points entirely. I found a link to
http://www.pushlets.com/, which has potential for my application, so I might
try this out, but otherwise I can see that perhaps ATLAS will be a
reasonable way to go.

Cheers

Charles

Charles Law

I might have mis-informed you with this statement. The intention is to have
a dedicated machine where the database will live and that will host the web
pages. Users will normally connect/load a page - using a standard browser -
over an intranet, but it also needs to be possible to reach the server over
the internet.

Charles

John Timney \( MVP \)

While I have done the socket approach many times I do happen to agree with
much of what Randolpho says here. What I suggested is a workable solution
for Push, but you will have to consider many other factors to get it to work
well. Polling from a web client is probably an all round better solution if
you are deploying to the internet, or via an extranet to an open public
presence - in fact from any web app its a better solution.

Regards

John Timney
Microsoft MVP

neilmcguigan

I'd recommend AJAX, combined with a Flash applet on the client

have the flash applet connect to your server and listen for messages.

when server tells flash to update something, flash tells XMLHTTP (AJAX)
to go get it